We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches & Monkeys

Richlands, Virginia
Level Contributor
92 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches & Monkeys

I am looking into Costa Rica for our vacation this year? Don't know much about it, just that it looks beautiful. Where is the best places to go and see? Where is the best places to go see monkeys? I am a big beach person so are the beaches nice? I've only looked at few motels, any recommendations on where to stay. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

Start here: www.govisitcostarica.com and go here www.anywherecostarica.com then on to www.costa-rica-guide.com

For distances and travel times - www.yourtravelmap.com

There are two international airports: SJO (San Jose) and LIR (Liberia). Where you go will depend on which airport you fly into. Some people opt to fly into one airport and out of the other to give them a broader experience in the country without a lot of travel time. (They are four hours apart)

You will get lots of things thrown at you, probably, but until you do a little research and narrow down your choices and let us know what time of year and how long you will be here and what things you are interested in doing, it's all just speculation.

By the way -- I wouldn't use the term "motel" -- in Costa Rica, this denotes a place where you have a "one-night-stand."

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

For monkeys and a great beach and rainforest area go to the Manuel Antonio area. You would needs flights to San Jose, You will find beautiful beaches and lot of monkies at the Manuel Antonio National park plus you can enjoy many other activities in the area

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

Great advice by Hattie and she is not a Travel Agent trying to sell anything...she just love our country....

One of the best places to see monkies...Manuel Antonio National Park...and most of the beaches in Guanacaste...like Tamarindo...Playa Grande...Coco´s... Samara ...Nosara!!

Please try to avoid people contacting you directly ofeering great advice and recommending some phnatom tour operators...please reort soliciting...some fake travel agents recommending friends that are most of the time...no good news!

roadadv isor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

There are so many beaches in Costa Rica but Mike always recommends Manuel Antonio. That's fine, but it is the most visited National Park in the country and the monkeys there are half-tame because of all the people and being fed. If you are looking for an authentic experience without all the tourists, I would look elsewhere.

Anywhere Costa Rica has a great list of beaches with descriptions and photographs so you can probably find the one that suits you. Don't worry too much about seeing monkeys - they are pretty much everywhere.

I agree with roadadvisor about people contacting you directly. One of the people participating in this forum has been contacting people by Private Message and making various offers for hotels or transportation or tours. This is strictly forbidden by Trip Advisor and should be reported if it happens.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

Well if you want to see monkies Manuel Antonio is one of the best places to see them. I was there yesterday and saw many of them, it is like they are posing for pictures sometimes. So cute and the beach is beautiful, no question about it.

Edited: 18 March 2012, 18:37
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

That's true, Mike, but there are more than 100 beaches in Costa Rica and while they may not have "posing monkeys," there are monkeys at most of them. I think that Jen_2000 should just look at a variety of beaches and pick the one that best suits her needs.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

I think Alexis is correct...and she may know a little about monkies and our beaches!

roadadvisor

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

Who s Alexis and when was the last time she visited Manuel Antonio?

It is true there are many beaches in Costa Rica and each one has their advocates (and critics) The OP asked about a place with beautiful beaches and a good chance to see monkeys. The Manuel Antonio area is definitely one that fits the bill. I was planning to recoomend it before Mike got his post. But sure there are others.

No one is stopping others from adding their specific recommendations. The more the merrier. it will give jen more places to consider.

pura vida

raquel

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
202 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

If you want to see alot of monkeys stay at LaPosada in Manuel Antonio right beside the the National Park. They have troops of monkeys that come on their property several times a day. They are also a 3 min walk to the public beach and of course you have 3 really nice beaches in the park.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches & Monkeys

Monkeys can be found all parts of Costa Rica including Manuel Antonio which is by far one of the most recommended on the forums and so very popular busy resort area with its benefits and draw backs.

Also loads of monkeys and beautiful beaches in

- Costa Ballena (Uvita/Dominical & Ojochal area) about 45 min south of Manuel Antonio. More remote, tones of monkeys (howlers and capuchin) and other wildlife like sloths, coatis, ant eaters, toucans, rainforest undeveloped, great tours, nature hikes and amazing deserted beaches both for surfing and some for swiming. Whales and great snorkeling also available.

- Osa Peninsula one of the most biologically diverse parts of the world, great beaches, rainforests and wildlife also not as busy as MA. Corcovado, Puerto Jimenez, Carate, Cabo Matapalo & Drake Bay.

- Caribbean coast loads of monkeys last I was there and nice beaches

- Guanacaste also monkeys and beaches

As Hattie sais have a look at each area and what it has to offer then you can narrow down your search a bit. Then you can get more specific recommendations.

Also agree there have been reports Travel Agents posing as travelers sending PM recommending services that they do not do on open forum, do report them.