We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara vs Tamarindo

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Samara vs Tamarindo

We are having difficulty deciding between Samara and Tamarindo after visiting Manuel Antonio NP. We will probably spend 4 - 5 nights at each place beginning at the end of May thru the first week in June. I heard that Tamarindo is larger than Samara. We would love to be on the beach as we enjoy swimming. Has anyone been to Playa del Carmen, Mexico? I was wondering if one of the places compares to it.

thanks for your help.

Gary

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samara vs Tamarindo

Tamarindo has a decent beach, is very developed with lots of restaurants to choose from, upscale shopping and high rise hotels, condos and villas. Good nightlife. www.nicoyapeninsula.com

Samara is smaller, fewer restaurants but still a good choice as well as a good choice of lodging. Much more authentic - nice beach. Playa Carrillo is a few km away, one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica.

www.samarabeach.com

Utah
Level Contributor
83 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samara vs Tamarindo

Tamarindo restaurants/shopping is about half the size of Playa del Carmen. The beach is very nice - lots of surfing. Samara is smaller (amenities and people) with a very nice beach - more protected cove like beach. Easier to swim in. Playa Carrillo is very beautiful. In Feb. the water was very warm. We stayed at both places for a couple of nights. If you have a car I would suggest both places.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samara vs Tamarindo

Does Playa Carillo have shops and restaurants available?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samara vs Tamarindo

Playa Carrillo is smaller than Samara and has a few restaurants and some lodging - not much for shops, but some. Look here for more information www.samarabeach.com which also covers Playa Carrillo.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samara vs Tamarindo

Samara smaller

Tamarindo bigger

Hattie gave a good description of both options.

I like both, but Tamarindo has more flexibility.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
649 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samara vs Tamarindo

I have been to Playa del Carmen as well as Samara, but not Tamarindo. While Samara is way less touristy than Playa del Carmen, and considerably smaller, I found it a really nice contrast to Manuel Antonio, which I found really touristy. It is great to stay literally on the beach and just walk down the beach to dinner and drinks. Have not been to Tamarindo, so can't make a fair comparison, but really fell in love with Samara and could easily spend a couple of weeks there.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samara vs Tamarindo

It's been years since I've been to PDC, but feel I can safely say that it's much more like Tamarindo than Samara...except don't expect the crystal clear blue carribean water that PDC has.

8. Re: Samara vs Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:41