We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

new york
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

I will be traveling with my child and dog to the Nicoya Peninsula

(preferably near Samara) in June and renting a house there.

We are traveling with our dog. It's easy enough to find a house

that will let me bring my dog but I'm not sure if the beaches will

allow her if she is on a leash? Anyone know the rules around this?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

You won't have any problem bringing your dog to the beach. No rules, but you should be prepared pick up after your dog if necessary as a common courtesy.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
310 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

A couple of months ago we spent a week in Samara and many hours on the beach there.

At each beach visit we saw many dogs running along the beach and just as many cooling off in the shallow waves close to shore.

Also at many meals a dog would come by just in case we had any extra food--they were always considerate and not aggressive and at no time during this week did we see/encounter any dog to dog or dog to human conflicts.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

No rules regarding dogs - frolic away. My dogs have enjoyed Samara beach for years. Just be considerate of others - particularly if there are small children involved.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 02:51
new york
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

Thanks so much for the helpful replies -- you've made my day!!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

in costa rica nothing is official until a dog gets involved! here's list of places i've seen dogs

in samara, across the street from the car rental shop there's an upstairs bar/disco. two dogs, one fraternizing on the dance floor and the other sleeping in the way of some guys playing darts.

in the pali grocery store.

repuesto store

just about every restaurant i've ever been into. one particularly funny one was in montezuma an un-fixed dog who preferred laying on his back in the middle of the floor and the waiters stepping over him while carrying trays.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

LOL, sonny - did you ever notice just how many dogs seem to "go to work" in the morning? They all seem to be headed somewhere - it has got to be work.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

From what I've seen, they all have a routine. Check out the neighborhood to see if any interlopers have come that way, visit with friends, see what's happening at the soccer field, head for the restaurant to see if there is a generous cook there, take a little break at the beach - maybe swim a bit, visit a few businesses to see what's going on there.

Hey -- it kind of sounds like a "human" day!

Edited: 14 April 2012, 14:05
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

oh we have observed dog behaviour in cr to quite a depth. you're right framp, the dogs all seem to be moving about with purpose. very few of them ever look to be aimlessly wandering. never thought of it as them going to work, but will from now on though! we definitely saw what hattie describes, dog trots down the road undistracted to a certain spot, gives it a really good sniff, turns around, pees on spot, then trots off to the next hub. samara was particularly good for dog watching because of the low traffic on the main road to the beach and a good vantage point from the second floor bar.

more places i've seen dogs in cr

in the bullring during the bullriding at the conte rodeo in conte, puntarenas.

in the disco following the rodeo

laying on the middle of the floor during an evening church service in zancudo

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

A friend of mine took her dog into the grocery store. She was at the checkout counter and realized she forgot one item. She peeled away to get the forgotten item, leaving her dog in the grocery cart. When she got back to the counter, her dog was on the checkout counter helping himself to the hamburger she was going to purchase. Everyone was laughing. Too funny!

10. Re: Dogs allowed on any beaches in Nicoya Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:15