We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers

This will be our first time to Costa Rica. Traveling with my girlfriend, both in our mid 30s. What part of Costa Rica do we pick? We are looking for a beach location (good for snorkeling and fishing). We do not want to have time taken up with a lot of traveling from airport to beach location. Also would like a location with fun bars and restaurants, preferably within walking distance. We will be traveling in late May. Looking to spend around $200 US per night. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers

Costa Rica is not a great destination for Snorkeling but I would suggest the Guanacaste area, Tamarindo seems to fit the bill for fishing, bars and restaurants, (Liberia airport approx 1 hour and 15 minutes) there is some skorkeling at Captain Island which you can reach by kayak. Manuel Antonio might be another area to consider but bars are close but spread out. and further (3 hours) from the San Jose airport

Edited: 17 April 2012, 19:58
Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Liberia Airport
Liberia Airport
Liberia, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers

I agree- Tamarindo may be your best bet if you do not want to do a lot of driving. Although you don't see as many "colorful" fish as you do in some areas snorkeling, I find the variety fascinating. I saw more variety in the Play Hermosa area than I have in most areas. Tamarindo is great for little shops and some nightlife and go up to Flamingo Beach for one of the most beautiful beaches in the area and Playa Grande is truly awesome. All these beaches are fairly close and you won't spend much time driving.

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,281 Reviews
Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica
Playa Grande
Playa Grande
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers

Personally we didn't care too much for Tamarindo, we found it too commercialized, too expensive and just too touristy. But I can see why some people like it, too.

We liked Playas del Coco better, still a nice size town with bars and restaurants. Touristy and commercialized too, but on a smaller scale. And it's closer to the Liberia airport.

Having said that, I think the beaches around Tamarindo are better than in the Playa del Coco area.

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Playas del Coco
Playas del Coco
Liberia Airport
Liberia Airport
Liberia, Costa Rica
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,681 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
4. Re: First Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:41