We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

(Central America) x ($2000 + July & August 2012) = ?

Boston...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
(Central America) x ($2000 + July & August 2012) = ?

***The Costa Rica Forums are the most popular, so I will post here, though my question is for the whole of Central America.***

Can I get away with US$2000 for a six-week frolic in Central America - NOT including the airfare?

- Less fancy, more shoestring.

- Less beach, more nature - although, beaches are nature, but that is a whole other forum.

- Less hotel, more hostel.

- Less meat, more veggies.

- Less tourists, more locals.

- Less party, more reading.

...and yes, I have every intention of visiting every Central American country - except for Mexico, which I do not consider Central American but again, that is a whole other forum. I have been to Mexico - beautiful place!

Thanks in advance!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: (Central America) x ($2000 + July & August 2012) = ?

I would say absolutely. We spent 6 weeks (5 in Costa Rica, 1 in Nicaragua) and while we were over your budget, we did have a rental car for a 2 week period, so that added to the cost. We did a mixture of eating out, and cooking at the house. We did this over the July/August period as well. Honestly, we may have been in your budget. I would have to pull my excel spreadsheet. I am thinking overall number which includes items we brought back for friends and family. Either way, it is entirely possible.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: (Central America) x ($2000 + July & August 2012) = ?

Six weeks in Central America for $2000 would give you about $47 a day -- which isn't a lot, really.

Costa Rica is the most expensive of the countries and about the least you can get away with in Costa Rica is about $30 a day. This is staying in a dorm room at a hostel, fixing many of your own meals or eating out at local "sodas." Also, riding the public bus. With riding the public bus, some taxis will be necessary and entrance to almost all the National Parks is $10.

Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador will be cheaper, especially Guatemala. Panama will be a bit cheaper than Costa Rica but probably more than the others.

Here are some helpful websites: www.govisitcostarica.com

www.puertoviejosatellite.com

www.tortuguerovillage.com

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

www.thebusschedule.com/cr/

Be sure to check the latest Moon Guide to Costa Rica. Once you have narrowed down your choices for Costa Rica, return to the forum here and we can help you with information on transportation and things to do.

Edited: 20 April 2012, 20:09
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: (Central America) x ($2000 + July & August 2012) = ?

I think it is possible. However, you might want to minimize your time in Costa Rica as it is far more expensive than all other Central American countries.

4. Re: (Central America) x ($2000 + July & August 2012) = ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:42