We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osa and Puerto Viejo

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Osa and Puerto Viejo

Hi,

I returned from Costa Rica in February and can't stop obsessing about it, so now I'm planning my next trip for Jan 2013 with my husband. My daughter and I stayed in the La Fortuna area (volunteered at Proyecto Asis) and Manuel Antonio. I want to visit both Puerto Viejo and Osa on my next visit for 10 days. I'm not sure how to do this though without renting a car. Would we take a shuttle to and from Puerto Viejo from San Jose, and then fly to Osa? I'm thinking of Banana Azul and Bosque Del Cabo. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osa and Puerto Viejo

All I can comment on is the Osa as I haven't been to Puerto Viejo. Flying to the Osa is the fastest way...from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez it's about an hour flight on Sansa or Nature Air. Bosque del Cabo is a great choice. You don't need a car really as there is lots to see and do right there. Lots of good hiking trails and tons of wildlife. They will be you up at the airstrip in P.J. for an added fee. Buena suerte.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osa and Puerto Viejo

Surely fly to Puerto Jimenez and back. Having a car in Puerto Viejo is not necessary. Both hotels are excellent.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osa and Puerto Viejo

You guys sound adventurous. Just the type for the Caribbean.

A very common option is if you are going to Puerto Viejo, from San Jose or return, is to take rafting expedition either way. This includes hotel pick up at either end. 2 meals, 4 hour rafting on Pacuare, handles safely all your luggage and drops you off at your hotel at end of your trip. Price is $99pp.

Yes, having a car in Puerto Viejo is not necessary. Taxis are cheap and are easy to get.

Then if you wanted on return, you could go out with an overnight trip to Tortuguero which includes meals and transport for about $200pp. They will pick you up in PV and drop you off at your hotel in San Jose.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osa and Puerto Viejo

Thank you everyone for your advice. I love the idea of the rafting trip to Puerto Viejo. We'll definitely fly to Puerto Jimenez and back, Should we rush back to San Jose to try to catch a flight to Puerto Jimenez that same day, or stay in San Jose and fly out early the next morning?

5. Re: Osa and Puerto Viejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:42