We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilet paper?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
75 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Toilet paper?

Our 2012 Fodor's guide to Costa Rica says to bring your own toilet paper because "the public restrooms rarely provide toilet paper". Really???? What about in restaurants?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilet paper?

In restaurants, you will always find toilet paper. If you are not eating at the restaurant, you can use their restroom but please leave 200 or 300 colones.

There are few "public restrooms" - but a bit of toilet paper may come in handy at one of these.

No need to bring a lot but one of those "travel rolls" might come in handy. Or even a small packet of Kleenex.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilet paper?

Most restaurants will have TP, but some won't. You also might not have any at gas stations. As Hattie suggest, I would just pack a small travel size Kleenex.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilet paper?

A two month backpacking trip across all of C. America and four years living in Costa Rica and not once did I ever say to myself ''oh man, I wish I had some toilet paper''. I wouldn't worry about, though I do like the idea of a travel pack of Kleenex.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilet paper?

puramar -- it's a bit different for women. Next time I'm in Tamarindo, we can have a little discussion. Maybe some stick figures?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilet paper?

We've always encountered toilet paper everywhere we've gone, even at small little restaurants and road side spots. That said, I always have a small pack of Kleenex in my purse. One thing we didn't know on our first trip is that in some places you can't put the paper in the toilet, so they provide a trash can for it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilet paper?

A package of baby wipes should also work in case they are needed. Most places would have toilet paper but just in case

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilet paper?

LOL. I needed a topic like this today to make me laugh. I haven't had too many encounters, but one that stands out is paying to use the bathroom at the Liberia bus station and the lady just rolling some tp around her hand, tearing it off, and handing it to me. Ahhh... memories....

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toilet paper?

jetskier -- that is a common occurrence with public bathrooms such as at a bus station.

I have to chuckle also at this discussion of toilet paper! But hey.... it's important, after all!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toilet paper?

I always carry a bit of toilet paper in a ziploc for those 'just in case' moments. Most of the time there is a huge roll of toilet paper, sometimes there is a small roll of toilet paper, sometimes there used to be a roll of toilet paper and someone has stolen it! and sometimes, the roll is empty! Yikes! It is best to be prepared for those unexpected times!

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toilet paper?

Hahaha Hattie, I didn't really think about that. Us men are so gender-centered.