We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
579 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

2 parents are keen to stay in Samara and relax for 2 weeks...2 young teens might run out of things to do?? Maybe we'll be too isolated?

I'm second guessing chosen location of Samara for 2 weeks during Christmas/New Years.

We will have a vehicle for day trips - since we've never been to the area, I'm finding it hard to estimate possible travel times and whether or not we'll be able to drive the coastal roads/through rivers at this time of year? What would be the farthest north and south on the coast we can expect to travel to for a day trip to explore?

I've come across so many CR maps that I'm now going a bit crazy with so much information!!

Help!

Thanks in advance!

lwbc

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
71 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

If you have chosen Samara I am assuming you have ruled out the larger AI resort towns. What is so nice about the Southern part of the Nicoya Peninsula is that there is much less tourism and two weeks is a perfect amount of time to relax and take in the culture, wildlife and adventure the area has too offer. I would recommend find a private rental property in the area that may include housekeeping, or a small hotel that is not necc. in the center of town. VRBO has great deals perfect for families, also check out http://exclusiveescapescr.com/. Further south of Samara you can find some great rentals/small hotels that will place you between Samara & Mal Pais/Santa Teresa giving you access to much more variety of adventure, activities and things to do and see to last you for your two week stay....Samara for two weeks could be much. Check out the Playa Coyote area for several options. Not too worry on the roads either, at that time of year there are no rains, the roads are in decent shape and you can count on being able to get anywhere you like, with 4x4 of course.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
579 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

Thanks Enez,

Yes, we have a private villa reserved in Samara (kitchen/pool, outside area, etc) and plan on a 4x4 vehicle.

I'm just trying to figure out that we can get up and down the coast fairly easy to explore different beaches/towns, etc. for day trips. All the maps I've seen show coastal "roads" - whether or not they're passable and how long the drive would be, I cannot tell!!

For example: Samara to Playa Coyote - distance wise it is doable for a full day exploration...but how long would it ACTUALLY take for us to drive Samara to Playa Coyote?!?

Cheers!

lwbc

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

December would be a coin toss for making it down the coastal road to Playa Coyote. Worse case scenario, you could go inland and then south. Honestly there is not a lot to do down there though. Going north, you could easily make it to Nosara.

Honestly, two weeks is a long time to stay in one place. There is a lot more to CR that you will miss out on. You really should consider taking a week of that time and exploring areas such as Arenal Volcano, Monteverde, Rincon de la Vieja or Rio Celeste/Tenorio. Doing so would give you a varied vacation and rewarding experience.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
579 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

Thanks La Fortuna,

We have 6 nights booked elsewhere and Samara would be the "beach holiday" after the "adventure"...

I'm more trying to get an idea if we're able to get to other beaches/coastal areas during this time of year. What about between Playa Coyote and Samara?

thanks,

lwbc

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

The coastal road down to Playa Coyote is going to be a coin toss as the dry season is just starting then. It really depends on the weather conditions when you get there. You will definitely be able to drive down to Carrillo and Camaronal. You can also drive north to the beaches of the Nosara area; Garza, Guiones, Pelada, Nosara and possibly Ostional.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

Good advice from explorin. Your best bet is to see what conditions are while you are there. With so many good places to go towards the north, it won't be a big deal if the road to Playa Coyote is not the best.

Another possibility is to drive to Punta Islita. We went there from Samara and had lunch at their beachside restaurant which was great. On the drive, we stopped here and there to look at birds, to check out the river, etc, and it was a very enjoyable jaunt.

7. Re: Beaches around Samara - easy to drive to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:15