We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

Hi Everyone!

We leave on Friday for our first trip to Costa Rica and couldn't be more excited! We are trying to find some more information on the more "secret" or "non-touristy" hot springs, and know we don't want to go to Tabacon.

Can anyone give us any of their favorites?

Thanks so much!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

They are all touristy but May is low season so they should not be crowded. My personal favorite are the ones at The Springs Resort and Spa, very luxurious, less expensive than Tabacon and simply breath taking. Another recommendation, smaller and more natural would be the Ecothermales hot Springs.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

the springs resort is fake, the water is pumped in and the rocks are made of fibreglass. nothing wrong with it at all, but if you want real natural hotsprings go elsewhere. if the price is lower than others, it's probably gonna have more tourists than other places.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,083 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

Eco Termales is the one you want. Owned and operated by a Tico family, they limit only 100 people at a time so it is never crowded. Food is probably the best from the ones I have visited. Gets my vote.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

Great! Eco Termales it is!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,083 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

I think you will really dig it. Write a trip report when you get back and tell the forum how it all went.

Cheers

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

Eco Termales is our favorite too; we love that it's smaller and locally owned and that they limit the number of people who can enter, so it doesn't get crowded. They serve a good chicken dinner there. The whole place has a very authentic vibe to it.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

I will put in a vote for Ecothermales as well, it's a volcanic heated river that flows into 3 pools of different temps, very relaxing. They offer an honor system bar, so you can have a cold one while you soak, and pay when you leave. The change rooms are kept very clean, the restaurant food is as good if not better priced than La Fortuna. Great peaceful place.

8. Re: Best (Not Tabacon) Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:42