We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

sunnyvale, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

hi all,

i'll be taking my girlfriend to costa rica and will be caring an expensive diamond ring in my backpack as a secret to propose to her while im there.

i wanted to make sure when we arrive in costa rica customs is not going to pull the ring out in front of my gf since it is a secret for her.

are there any forms that we will need to fill out before arriving?

will i need to declare the ring before we enter?

is there a possibility they will need to see or confirm the ring before they let us through customs?

just trying to cover my back all ways possible. i wouldn't want to be outed by a customs agent having to pull the ring out right in front of her.

thanks.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

The chances of them pulling it out are slim to none. If they do, just immediately drop to one knee and act as though it was planned. It certainly would be original and she would have a lot of pressure to say yes...

Congratulations

sunnyvale, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

:) hopefully it won't come to that.

what's up the entry form we have to fill out? will i need to declare anything on it that might include the ring?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

No need to claim it. The declaration form is for products that are not considered everyday use. If you had 10 of them in boxes, you might raise some eyebrows, but no need to worry in your case.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

You do not need to declare it, very little chance they will pull it out.

sunnyvale, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

awesome. thanks all!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

Chowdig, you didn't indicate if the backpack was checked or carry-on, better to keep the ring in your pocket just in case. Would be a shame if your piece of luggage ended up in Sheboygan. As to customs, as others have said, not much chance, but again, I would pocket it in a discreet container and keep it close. Good Luck

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

Good point no valuables should go in the checked luggage! Ring in the pocket, or hand luggage

PA
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

If it is in your pocket, it might set off the scanner when you walk through, but probably not. I never wear much jewelry so I'm not sure about how sensitive it is to that.

But if it is in your backpack, I would put the box in a sock or something and pin that to the inside of the backpack, so absolutely no chance of it getting 'lost' if the agent fingers through your pack.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

Once you you pass security for your final flight to Costa Rica you will not go through a security scanner again in CR. All all bags get xrayd by customs. I doubt this will cause any issues.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: costa rica airport customs with secret ring when arriving?

There is a scanner in Costa Rica after the luggage carousel. But you don't go through a body scanner.