We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Family of six seeking budget vacation June 1-11

york, sc
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Family of six seeking budget vacation June 1-11

My husband and four girls (ages 8-16) are traveling with me to Costa Rica in a few weeks. We have made no reservations thus far. We want to "blend" in with the ticos WHILE seeing some of the "tourist" attractions. We would like to stay around Monteverde for three nights and near MA for three nights. We plan to spend a couple of days volunteering at an orphanage in Heredia. We would prefer to spend our $ on tours (ie zipline, rafting, coffee, birdwatching...) We do not need deluxe accomodations. BUT I would like a home/b&b where we can all stay together. I don't want to stay in separate hotel rooms unless they adjoin. We prefer the hominess of someones, well, home, I guess. This will be a once in a lifetime (probably) for us as a family. I am sure that I will return to Robelalto to volunteer. PS My family loves nature! Y yo soy bilingue!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
#1 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Tulemar Resort
Tulemar Resort
#2 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Nayara Springs
Nayara Springs
#1 of 58 hotels in La Fortuna de San Carlos
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Family of six seeking budget vacation June 1-11

Not sure how you would locate local families, but do know that it is possible to set up what you are trying to do. Here is a site for something like that, but most of the people enrolled are ex-pats: www.couchsurfing.org

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Family of six seeking budget vacation June 1-11

You can find many little hotels b/b at both Montverde and Manuel Antonio where you can have adjoining rooms that might fit your budget. It might be hard to find a home

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
La Jolla, California
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Family of six seeking budget vacation June 1-11

Hi,

There is a volunteer organization in Costa Rica ( www.glvolunteers.com ) that helps to place people in different projects all around Costa Rica. For example, if you're interested in doing some volunteering while being in Monteverde, I think they have a project where you live with a Tico host family and help out during the day with whatever Monteverde needs help with! You can only stay for a few days in Monteverde and volunteer - and its affordable!

Green Life Volunteers is very flexible with groups/ families, and you'd probably only have to pay a little fee to sign up for the project.

Another idea would be to stay in Puerto Jimenez de Osa - there is a beautiful hotel ( www.cabinas-tropicales.com ) - they have a room from $50 a night which has two rooms with a double bed and two single beds, and I am sure there is the option to move a couple of more beds into the single bed room to have a couple of more kids sleep there. I think it would be a bit more for more people in the room - but the hotel has a very "homey" atmosphere (they only have 6 rooms).

In and around Puerto Jimenez there is tons to do - from Kayaking, Horseriding, Zip lining, Hiking through Corcovado etc etc.

Just some ideas :)

L

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Monteverde
Monteverde
Tico Tours Guanacaste
Tico Tours Guanacaste
455 Reviews
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
york, sc
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Family of six seeking budget vacation June 1-11

Muchas gracias! Is Corcovado a better alternative to MA? How far is the drive from the Arenal area? We were going to rent a car (a rather big expense). However, we plan to only visit two areas. Would it be better to use public trans or a private driver? Or is it just better to have our own car to get around? I contacted GL. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Family of six seeking budget vacation June 1-11

Corcovado is a more remote area but great for nature. Driving from Arenal to Peninsula de Osa /Corcovado takes too long, over 9 hours. If you are doing 2 places I would keep Manuel Antonio and not Corcovado.

Mentioned in this post
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
6. Re: Help! Family of six seeking budget vacation June 1-11

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:42