We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

Los Lunas, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

My husband and I get to SJO at 5:30am and are picking up our rental car at 6:30. The rest of our group doesn't get to SJO until 2:30 that afternoon. What should we do while we wait? We are considering Poas and/or La Paz but is there something else that others have done that we should think about? Any and all ideas very much appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

I would go to La Paz Waterfall gardens it is really a beautiful place. You can also combine the Poas Volcano and the Doka Coffee plantation tour which are close to each other. Or the Poas Volcano and Sarchi artisan town. Another is to drive to Sarchi and Zarcero Park.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,388 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

That early you will have good chances actually seeing the green lagoon inside the crater of Volcano Poas. Instead of driving allthe way to La Paz, visit Zoo Ave, a great zoo and animal rehabilitation center close to Alajuela and thus close to SJO. With an hour for lunch you should be paying attention not to be late for meeting the rest of your group.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,571 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

I also agree that a trip to the top of Poas which opens at 8 would be a good idea. Depending on how much time you spend hiking on top you could bisit either Doka Coffee Estate for a tour and a bite to eat or Zoo Ave which is a small but charming zoo, heavily landscaped near the airport (admission $15/pp).

I'd also suggest you call the Costa Rican office for your rental car company and confirm that there will be someone available at that early hour so that you can pick up the rental car. Not all the rental car companies open that early.

Los Lunas, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

Thank you for the replies....sounds like Poas is definitely something we should do and then see what we have time for once we're finished. I haven't heard about Zoo Ave but will check that out. It's nice that it's so close to the airport because xelas is right, we don't want to be late picking up the rest of our group! Not the way to start a vacation. :) crfan, thanks for the heads up but the rental car company actually contacted us and told us they could pick us up that early. We were quite impressed!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

http://www.coffeetour.com/

http://www.museosdelbancocentral.org/eng/

Los Lunas, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

Thanks, jose b, will check those out!!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

We've done Doka, La Paz, and Poas - I think any of those is a great suggestion.

Los Lunas, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

Thanks, volcanogirl....I think we're leaning toward Poas. We were there last year and spent 3 or 4 days in the Arenal area but never saw the volcano. It was always rainy/cloudy. A volcano and a monkey (nope, didn't see one of those either) are on our "must see list" this time! :)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

If you take the Poas-Doka -La Paz tour you would see the monkeys at La Paz Waterfall Gardens. Hopefully the Volcano will be clear when if you go to Poas.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to while waiting for rest of traveling group to arrive

Yes, those are definitely must sees! Arenal volcano is neat because of the huge cone that dominates the landscape; Poas is different in that you look down into the crater - still very cool though. We arrived fairly early in the a.m., and it was still covered in clouds, but we lingered around, and they eventually lifted, and we got a great view. People actually cheered!