We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which volcano other than Arenal?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which volcano other than Arenal?

We will be landing in San Jose on the 21st and have reservations in Monteverde on the 24th thus we have 3 nights to stay somewhere. We also have the desire to see a volcano other than Arenal (we've already got that planned for later).

So Irazu or Poas?

Poas is more in the "correct" direction and with a little bit of hunting I think it will be easier to combine one day around Poas with one day of rafting prior to heading to Monteverde. On the other hand one member of our party has mentioned that Poas has had some dangerous activity recently.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

Poas would be fine. There is a one day tour that combines the Poas Volcano, The doka coffee plantation and the La paz Waterfall gardens. Otherwise you can visit the Irazu Volcano which is combined with the Orosi Valley and Lankaster gardens. A day at a volcano and a day of rafting is a good plan.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

There has not been any dangerous activity at Poas recently, so no worries there. If you want a volcano with rafting nearby, you should head over to Turrialba. This volcano has been sporadically active, shooting out plumes of smoke and a new crater developed. The rafting over there on the Rio Pacuare is second to none in CR. It's less than 2 hours from the airport, but will add a little time to your drive to Monteverde. Turrialba is close enough to Irazu to do a day trip if you wanted as well.

Alternatively, you could head over to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano, which has also been active recently. You can do rafting on duckies (2 man inflatable boats) on the Rio Colorado or tubing on the Rio Negro. This area would also add a little time to your drive, but you're going to find that driving anywhere in CR requires an investment in time.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

You cannot visit Turruialba right now because of the activity, but you can see the plume from just about anywhere in the Cartago, - Orosi Valley area on a clear day. Yes, the Pacaure is arguably the best rafting in Costa Rica, but it could be too much for first timers, depending on the season. If you want to combine a volcano and rafting the easiest way is to visit Irasu, and then go rafting on the Rio Grande de Orosi with Aventuras Orosi. They also have a canopy (zip lining) tour if that is of interest to your group.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

I agree the Rio Grande is a nice river and the Pacuare is not for everybody, but you can visit the town of Turrialba, which is located right by the volcano. You just cannot look down into the crater due to recent activity. Same thing with Arenal, you can go to Fortuna, but you cannot look into the crater.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

Poas is a good option. You can combine this with La Paz waterfall and after that you can drive on to do rafting. Rio Toro with Desafio is highly recommended.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

Thanks for all the info so far.

I've been looking at a number of different rivers and think the Pascuare might be beyond what we'd like. None of us have any rafting experience and its possible that we might have a 70 year old as well as a 13 year old with us. I'm probably looking for a class II or class III river. We'll be going in late Dec.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

In that case take the Sarapiqui River is is a class II & III and they do it from San Jose as a day trip.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

The Rio Grande de Orosi is also class 2-3 and is an easier closer day trip from San Jose. The trip is a little shorter than Sarapiqui but pretty much every weekend Aventuras Orosi offer a rafting special for only 14000 Colones including lunch. I am not sure what the transportation would cost because I have always had my own. You can contact them at 25334000 or 60501833 or aventurasorosi@hotmail.com They also have zip lining and other activities.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,181 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

I also suggest if you have 3 days you check out Irazu Volcano where you can drive to the top, visit the Orosi Valley and try a day of whitewater rafting on the Pacuare or the Rio Grand or the Reventazon. This corner of Costa Rica SE of San Jose is stunningly beautiful but little visited by tourists. There are coffee tours, national parks (Tapanti) and pre-Columbian ruins to explore at Guayabo.

10. Re: Which volcano other than Arenal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:17