We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poas car rental

Saint Louis...
13 posts
Save Topic
Poas car rental

Has anyone used Poas lately? There seem to be some mixed reviews, but their rates look pretty good; didn't know if there's a bad reason for this. Also, I've noticed license plate fees on some car rental sites - is this mandatory?

49 replies to this topic
Welland Ontario
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poas car rental

ive rented with poas twice now and i also rented once from econamy and i will only rent from poas as they are no bull company i rented for 10 days for $390 total with min insurance from poas. and from econamy they would not give me the option to take min insurace as they are probably getting some sort of kick back.. i was suppose to have the car with econamy for 10 days for $200 and figuerd that was way to cheap and come to my supprize when i showed up to get the car it cost me just under $1000.. and this was an unsuspected expence.. So go with poas car rental they strive to make the costomer happy..p.s both rental cars were econamy cars

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poas car rental

i or someone in my family has rented from Poas exclusively lately with great results, great cars and customer service.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poas car rental

If Cubanon said so...go for Poas...Cubanon and his family...are great decent people...100% true advice...and he is not trying to sell you anything...anywhere in our country...specially the Caribbean side..

roadadvisor

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poas car rental

We rent from Poas regularly. Good company with nice people.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poas car rental

So glad to find this post! I'm currently looking for a company to rent from for 33 days. Poas' price was almost too good to be true. Scared I will get the bait and switch when I show up for my premium SUV. I may just make that leap of faith since you all had good experiences. Thank you.

Titusville, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poas car rental

We rented from Poas this past Feb. They were fantastic. There was some confusion though as we had our reservation through Service Rental. We were confused to have our name at the airport on a Poas sign upon arrival. No one really knew at first. Being in a new country I initially didn't trust them but the lady picking us up was kind and made some calls for us. I found a Service rental rep at the airport but they didn't speak much English and me no Spanish. In the end we found out Service ran out of vehicles and sent our reservation to Paos. I had no information from Service regarding this and could not get anyone at Service to answer the phone. Paos turned out to be fantastic and honored our rate with Service. They were easy, accepted our credit card insurance, very friendly, and no issues at all returning the vehicle. I emailed Service and did get a response apologizing but they ran out of cars that morning and had no way to contact us. We are looking to travel back to CR this summer and will use Paos again if we can.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poas car rental

I recently used Poas and would NEVER use them again. First, they gave us a filthy car that had mechanical issues. After we had the car changed out two days later after a loud grinding noise from the engine, that very same car arrived at our hotel with another customer and... it died. Our replacement car was marginally better, but had completely bald tires (!). Second, the service was awful. When we traded in the broken car for another one, the agent (nametag Mauricio) told me he was waving the early return penalty! Some favor! Third, we asked for a copy of the insurance since our regular auto insurance does a partial reimbursement. I was told a copy would be ready when I picked up the car. When I picked up the car I was told the document would be ready when I dropped off the car. When I dropped off the car i was told they would email them to me. Well, two weeks later and, shocker, no document. Poas is slightly cheaper, but I would never use them again.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poas car rental

I love the one posters...WHY?

roadadvisor

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poas car rental

We used Poas on our last trip a few weeks ago and had absolutely zero issues. They are not my first choice, but I have rented from them twice now, and each time has been trouble free. We put @ 500km on the car this trip and the car never gave us any problems.

Titusville, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poas car rental

We just rented from Paos again this past June. Again we had a great experience. In fact they remembered us and took 10% off our rental rate because of it. The cars are not new, but both vehicles we had worked fine. One tire on this last trip was a bit low when we did the inspection. They immediately filled it up and it was fine. We left the lights on during our Feb trip (our fault) but the battery jumped easily and we had no additional issues. In fact the girl that picked us up this time was so wonderful. She teaches English to kids and taught our girls some Spanish while they were waiting for us to get the car. She even wrote down a cheat sheet of Spanish words for them to take. Again, another wonderful experience for us from Paos.

Reply to: Poas car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted