We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family with kids going to CR for first time

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
family with kids going to CR for first time

we are planning a week vacation in CR and i've pretty much narrowed our vacation down to splitting the time between arenal and manuel antonio, and maybe monteverde. i've also concluded that with the kids in tow, we really would prefer the convenience of being driven instead of renting a car.

so my questions are:

what would you recommend as far as transportation to and from san jose airport?

we have a couple of hotels in mind, would you book with them separately? i was thinking maybe a tour company could custom arrange all our hotel/transportation--any recommended tour companies that are known to be legit and good?

if we were to do monteverde, would we need to get a hotel there or is arenal close enough to do a day trip?

thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: family with kids going to CR for first time

Arenal, (Monteverde) and Manuel Antonio are a good combination. If you want to visit Montverde you need to stay there overnight it is a 3 to 4 hour drive from Arenal. There is a shared land boat transfer through the Arenal Lake to Monteverde that would save you an hour on the road. You can book the hotels directly or use a travel company as you mentioned, the hotel can also get you the transportation you need if you ask them. For companies I have used www.tachiztravel.com, here is also a link where you can find many companies as well: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g291982-c117989/Costa…

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,284 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family with kids going to CR for first time

We've always booked everything ourselves and found it pretty easy to do. I wouldn't go to Monteverde unless you can spend at least two nights there. It's kind of a pain to get there on the long, bumpy road. Desafio's Jeep Boat Jeep service is a good one to use if you want to cut across the lake like Mike mentioned. For transportation, we always just reserve private drivers through our hotels when we book them.

Quepos
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: family with kids going to CR for first time

I definitely agree with the reply above. If you have small kids, you may want to avoid the long drive to get to Monteverde. As for the transportation, it's always easier and safer to book through the hotels.

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family with kids going to CR for first time

I can recommed you Alex, he has new vans and fully insured. He is bilingual and he will personalised your trip. i am sure he wil offer you a great price and treatment. Get him at alajuelatours@gmail.com

5. Re: family with kids going to CR for first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 00:05
6. Re: family with kids going to CR for first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:17