We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

We can't fit it all in...where should we spend our 2 nights...initial thought was Arenal...and pass on Monteverde...but now thinking the opposite..

For those that have done both, which did you prefer...and why?

Thoughts are welcome...

Lwbc

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

Arenal is really nice because it has hot springs and a lot of natural splendor. I think it will also depend on where you will be travelling to/from as well. Will you be driving or taking a shuttle? There are a lot of factors that go into you decision ....

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

BW,

Yes, we will have a vehicle and after our 2 nights, we're heading down to Montezuma. Yes, Arenal is a bit more out of the way but we're ok with the long drive down the peninsula.

We initially chose Arenal because it had more activities and sights but have heard so many positive comments about Monteverde so thats why we're second guessing our choice! We are 2 adults and 2 teen boys.

thanks,

lwbc

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

Monteverde is a clludforest so if you're into hiking and wildlife it's a great choice. They also have some great ziplines there as well. The downside to Monteverde is that cloudforests tends to be damp and cool and Monteverde has only unpaved roads leading to it, calling for some long bumpy rides.

If you're looking for adventure more than just hiking you might be better off around Arenal where in addition to the hot springs, there is whtiewtaer rafting, ziplines, canyoning, a waterfall hike, kayaking on the lake and a wildlife sanctuary. The lower altitude makes for warmer temperatures than Monteverde.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

Arenal would be my choice it has more activities (Nature and Active) plus the relaxing hot springs. It is a nicer area. If your interests are more for birding tours then Monteverde would be the place to go.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

I'm team Arenal too. We've been there several times and still haven't done it all. Love the uniqueness of the volcano and the natural hot springs, plus all the other activities. Monteverde was very chilly and rainy for us - glad we went but haven't had a strong desire to go back like we have to Arenal, plus Monteverde is kind of a pain to get to because of the long bumpy road. Pretty area though and nice if you want to see quetzals.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

On our first trip we did Arenal, Monteverde, and Montezuma. Of the 3 Monteverde was my least favorite. I'm not sure we tried to do enough things there. I think we just did a zip line- which was out of this world.

But I would probably pick Arenal over Monteverde.

7. Re: 2 nights...Arenal or Monteverde?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:40