We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel location choice and airport transportation

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
hotel location choice and airport transportation

We arrive in San Jose too late (mid afternoon) to catch the only daily flight to Tambor offered by Sansa, so will need to wait until the next day. We are booked on a 10:15 AM flight the next day.

Should we stay at an airport hotel? Which one?

Or, is it worth going into town and spending the night there? Looking at Hotel Grano de Oro. Good location for seeing a bit of the city and having a good dinner? Have you stayed there and do you recommend it?

How much should we expect to pay for the taxi from/to the airport if we elect not to stay at the airport?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

Close to the airport you can find the Hotel Aeropuerto in Alajuela. They have a free shuttle from the airport. Going to San Jose might be a good idea to explore the city a little (If is not really a pretty city but), Grano de Oro is a good choice however it is a 10 minute cab ride to the downtown area. If you go to San Jose I would suggest the Presidente Hotel or the Balmoral that are downtown in front of a pedestrian walk (Second avenue) with lots of shops, restaurants and a few museums. A taxi from the airport to San Jose is approx $25 to $30.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

I would suggest saving your money and staying somewhere closer to the airport, such as Orquideas Inn. Excellent restaurant on site, and a fun bar to catch up with other travelers. That said, if you do decide to stay closer to downtown, the Gran De Oro is a nice choice!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

I wrote second avenue above I meant to write central avenue ( where the pedestrian walk is).

Edited: 24 May 2012, 00:14
Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

If I may, The Adventure Inn http://www.adventure-inn.com/ is very convenient to the airport, and is currently offering a free shuttle back to the airport. It has high reviews and Eric and his team (fully bilingual) do whatever is needed to make your visit fun. Pool, decent restaurant, and comfortable rooms. Since you are saving some $$$s on the hotel, I would suggest a ride downtown to La Esquina de Buenos Aires restaurant http://www.laesquinadebuenosaires.com/ for a great steak and other grilled items. The ride in will give you a chance to see the city safely, then finish your evening with a great meal. Have a safe holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

Grano de Oro is a great boutique hotel...good location...good food..highly recommended..

roadadvisor

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

Thanks, everyone, for all the wonderful suggestions. Considering the short time we have in San Jose, and the fact that we will have been traveling all day, I am seriously leaning towards choosing something at the airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

Hampton Inn is a great option...as good or as bad as any American hotel next to any airport...but in this xcase Hampton is a great option and just 3 minutes from SJO!

roadadvisor

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

Nothing wrong with Hampton Inns... we use them often for this type of situation. Thanks for reenforcing this possibility.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

You are more than WELCOME...please enjoy our country !!!

roadadvsior

Edited: 24 May 2012, 21:10
10. Re: hotel location choice and airport transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:15