We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tortuguero or tamarindo?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
tortuguero or tamarindo?

I'm off to costa rica for the first time in the 1st 2 weeks of November and would really like some advice on itinerary please. I'm going with my partner, both mid 20s, and we have 14 nights, realistically 12 with travel in and out of st jose.

we currently have the following planned:

day 1 : arrive and stay over in St Jose

day 2: travel to tortuguero ( 2 nights stay)

day 3: tortuguero (canal trip)

day 4: travel to arenal (3 nights stay)

day 5: arenal (volcano )

day 6: arenal (visit tenorio national park)

day 7: travel to monteverde (2 nights)

day 8: monteverde (cloudforest)

day 9: travel to rincon de la vieja area, monteverde (2 nights)

day 10: rincon de la vieja (mudbaths)

day 11: travel to tamarindo(2 nights)

day 12: leisure day at beach

day 13: travel to st jose

day 14: return home

I'm unsure if this trip is trying to fit too much in as we don't want to feel like we are travelling the whole time. I wondered whether to remove Tortuguero as it's quite out of the way but I've heard it's lovely, even though it won't be turtle season.

if we take out Tortuguero we'd probably do 4 nights in Tamarindo at the end to have more beach time... but i'm not sure if it'll be beach weather early November?

we could take the beach out all together and add an extra night or two somewhere else.

on the other hand, it's our first time in costa rica and i want to see as much as possible!!! :S

i love wildlife and would love to see turtles, i think there may be some chance in Tamarindo but not loads. i like all wildlife though and am happy to trek through the day with some downtime at the hotel to read / have a massage etc.

are all these places worth visiting / is there anywhere i should see and am missing out?

please help! :)

thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tortuguero or tamarindo?

You have a great itinerary and yes you have a lot of driving. I would not take out Tortuguero as it is a great area for nature and very beautiful. Tortuguero will be a great jungle/nature experience. If I were to take something out to add 2 more nights in tamarindo I would take out Rincon de La Vieja. After this trip you will just have to come back to visit other areas like Manuel Antonio, the Osa Peninsula, The Caribbean Puerto Viejo Limon etc.

Edited: 28 May 2012, 22:21
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tortuguero or tamarindo?

thanks. do you think it's worth visiting tamarindo beach or would you recommend removing this to still keep rincon/do extra nights in one of the others?

i'm not too bothered about beach either way but would be good to see some variety

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tortuguero or tamarindo?

I would say Tamarindo is worth and a totally different area. You have a great itinerary as it is. 2 nts in Tortuguero, Monteverde and Rincon are just fine. If you decide to take out the beach maybe add those 2 nights in the Sarapiqui Rainforest area (After Tortuguero and before Arenal). It is on the way anyway.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tortuguero or tamarindo?

nice itinerary

San Lorenzo, Costa...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tortuguero or tamarindo?

maybe Manuel Antonio instead of Tamarindo .

but overall great itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tortuguero or tamarindo?

thanks all, think we're going to stay an extra night, and follow our current itinerary with an extra night in tamarindo :)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tortuguero or tamarindo?

I love your itinerary I will leave it as it is...you can do it...is a fun itienrary...GO FOR IT!

Do not change a thing...I have recommend your itinerayr for a lot of people in my last 45 years as a travel agent...and most people really love it!!

roadadvisor

8. Re: tortuguero or tamarindo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:40