We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent a car or pay for private transportation?

2 posts
Save Topic
Should we rent a car or pay for private transportation?

Hi,

I will be traveling to Costa Rica in July with my husband and 4 yr old daughter. This will be our first trip to CR. We will be staying in Manuel Antonio for 4 days. Should we rent a car and drive ourselves or arrange private transportation? I am a little worried about renting because we will have my 4 yr old daughter with us and I heard about rental cars breaking down etc. Also, is renting a car cheaper that private transportation? ( gas prices, insurance, extra cost of gps, etc.)

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we rent a car or pay for private transportation?

It is really a matter of personal preference. With a car rental you have the freedom of comming and going as you wish plus you can explore some sites on your own but you have to do all the driving. With transfers you just sit and relax and someone else does all the driving, in Manuel Antonio it is also easy to get cabs or public buses to move around. As per costs at the end it might be similar.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we rent a car or pay for private transportation?

Thanks MikeA943!

I will do a little more research. I'm leaning more toward the private shuttle because it sounds like it will be a bit easier.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we rent a car or pay for private transportation?

Either one is just fine...nice to rent a car since then you will have the freedomn of the car...and nice in case you need it for any reason ...with kids is always nice to have a car...

Private transfers are nice ...but again once at destination and in your special case nice to have a vehicle in case the baby may need somenthing!

roadadvisor

4. Re: Should we rent a car or pay for private transportation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:17