We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary assistance, please

Jersey City, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary assistance, please

My wife and I are looking to travel to Costa Rica at the end of August. We are thinking of flying into San Jose the evening of Aug 24th, and then out of Liberia Mon Sept 3rd in the afternoon. We have never been to Central America, and looking through everyone's itineraries is quite overwhelming. We are looking to hike, explore as much as possible, and my wife needs some beautiful beach time. We want it to be somewhat relaxing, but want to be able to see as much as possible. I have no problem with renting a car and driving the whole time - if that would be best, but we are also not at all intimidated by public transportation. We want to see lots of beautiful animals and have as many adventures as we can. Thank you all so much in advance for any assistance/suggestions you can provide. This site has already opened my eyes to how people can help each other have memorable journeys! I will definitly begin to contribute on here.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary assistance, please

You might enjoy 1 nt San Jose, 2 in the Tortuguero Rain Forest area great for wildlife, 3 in the Arenal Volcano Area for hot springs and adventure then on the Monteverde Cloud Forest area 2 nts and finish at at the beach in Tamarindo or Flamingo. (Or skip Monteverde and have more nights at the beach)

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary assistance, please

MikeA943 has given you some great ideas to get a taste of what this beautiful country has to offer, couldn't have suggested any better. Have a great holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary assistance, please

If your flight arrives late you may consider a private transfer to Arenal ...about 3 hours drive from SJO...check Lost Iguana Hotels...Arenal Lodge and Gardens...Los Lagos...

From there you can get a rent a car and drive to Guanacaste province...you can even drive from Arenal to Monteverde is a great ride about 3 hours...not very good road from Tilaran to Monteverde but is one of the best roads to take some great pictures of the always great PAMPA de Guanacaste...

Also you can take the jeep boat jeep between Arenal and Monteverde...and have somebody picking up at Monteverde and drive you to some of our great beaches in Guanacaste...Tamarindo...Coco´s...Hermosa...Conchal...Brasilito...Flamingo...and many more...

Most of them about 1 hour from LIR...

That will be a nice itinerary...but of course many other ways to know my great country!

If you dealt with a travel agency...always ask for a daily break down...and compare prices...you will be surprise how some people hide charges in a full package!

roadadvisor

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary assistance, please

Costa Rica is a destination that you can easily plan a trip yourself without using a travel agency just by reviewing information available on the internet-- Mike and Roadadvisor have given you some excellent ideas for places to visit. It is a beautiful country!!

Renting a car and driving offers you the flexibility to go at your own speed. (If you decide to rent, just read up on the forum so you know about the insurance and recommendations for reliable companies) The schedules for public transportation aren't always the most convenient--but shared shuttles can be arranged between most towns

5. Re: Itinerary assistance, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:40