We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

Debating whether it would be safe or a good idea for two women to rent a car and drive around in Costa Rica. Destinations include Arenal, Playas Flamingo, and San Jose.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 19:52
Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

Of course it will be safe, using common sense, and perhaps not driving at night, you should be fine. The highways and roads to your destinations are generally in good condition with adequate signage, a GPS, although not completely reliable, might be a good idea. Driving in SJ though is an experience unto itself, and I might suggest you avoid the San Jose Centro area, with it's poorly signed one way streets and drivers who believe a red light is a caution. Keep an eye on your belongings in the car, try and park in a lit and secure area, and take all necessary insurance options (there is a posting on the right side of this Forum regarding Mandatory Insurance). Have a great holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

Yes, it is safe as cajon traveler mentioned take the necesary safety precautions you would take anywhere in the world. If you stop on the way to eat park the car in a place that you can see it from your table. Take important documents and money with you all the times, do not leave them in your car.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 20:06
Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

Thanks for the follow up MikeA943, great added cautionary advice. Better safe than sorry is my mantra.

4. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 June 2012, 17:58
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

No problema rent a car and hit the road...great roads all the way...just keep a low profile...we are nice people but still some not very nice people around....

Try to get a GPS a couple good road maps...and HIT THE ROAD!

roadadvisor

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

Thank you everyone for the advice. Feeling better about renting a car now.

Second question coming....though.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

I frequently drive around Costa Rica with my girlfriend. We have made countless trips, all over the country! Take the advice given here and you'll be fine! I however, NEVER drive in San Jose. I'll go as far as Alajuela or Escazu, (depending on which hwy we are on) then park the car at a hotel and take taxi's. San Jose is crazy!

Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

It is safe for women to drive in my country, just take the normal precautions you would take anywhere in the wolrd.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

A good rentacar company will provide you with a cell phone as added security. Should you get lost you have someone to call! Otherwise, Costa Rica is a great country to travel in as a woman, but I would avoid night driving regardless of gender!

Have a wonderful girls' vacation!

What's the next question?

10. Re: Safe for Women to Drive in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:16