We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay up on hill or down on beach?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stay up on hill or down on beach?

Need thoughts/recommendations. Planning a family trip to Hermosa and we're trying to decide if we should stay in a nice home up on the hill with beautiful views or a home/condo down on the beach? Hilltop homes seem nicer and have spectacular views, but wonder how much of a pain it is to/from the beach (especially if you need a refill :-)

All help and thoughts appreciated!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay up on hill or down on beach?

I think you may have to specify which Hermosa you are talking about. There are several.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay up on hill or down on beach?

Sorry, I didn't specify the town well enough. It's Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste, Costa Rica. We've never been to the beach there so trying to decide if we'd rather stay down on the beach where access to ocean is easy, or stay up on the hill where the views of the ocean are so much better, but a short drive down to the beach. Really have no point of reference and it's hard to tell by just looking at pictures. One thing too is that the houses on the hills have much nicer outdoor spaces (pools, grill/kitchens, etc.)

Thanks again

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay up on hill or down on beach?

If you don't need to go to the beach every time you walk outside, but only want to spend a few hours there each day, I'd stay on the hill. For the views, the peace and the breeze. You can always pack a cooler to take to the beach for your refills.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay up on hill or down on beach?

If you have a car then I would stay on the hill if you get a better property, otherwise I would stay on the beach

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay up on hill or down on beach?

Have you considered Las Catalinas? It has stunning rental homes with 24 hour security and beach access. Also it has a great restaurant on site in Lola's del Norte as well as Pura Vida Ride adventure tour office. We spent the last days of our Costa Rican adventure relaxing with out children in this beautiful village. We saw monkeys in the trees and they have trails for mountain biking and hiking right on site. We would definitely return to Las Catalinas. They have a web site if you are interested in seeing more.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 23:11
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay up on hill or down on beach?

Ooops, I meant to say we were WITH our children. Las Catalinas is a great place to stay with kids of any age. I really appreciated seeing the security walking all hours of the day and night, and Pura Vida provides equipment for water sports and (I think) Mountain Bikes. Also, one night we just wanted to enjoy our private swimming pool and courtyard of our luxury home, so Lola's delivered our dinner right to our open air dinning room! OK, I've raved enough for now...

7. Re: Stay up on hill or down on beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 04:16