We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! I need to book today!

Pittsburgh...
1 post
Save Topic
HELP! I need to book today!

We (me, husband, and 21 and 23 yr. olds) are flying into San Jose on Thurs. July 5 and renting a 4x4. We are flying out of Guanacaste on Thurs., July 12. We want to do the activity side of our trip between San Jose and Guanacaste the first 3 days/nights and do a few of the grown-up fun things...canopy ziplines, volcano, etc. (my 21 yr old son is not interested in butterfly gardens) but I am so confused as to which one and which area. I need someone to help me with a short itinerary for 3 days and then where to stay those 3 nights. After that we plan to drive to Guanacaste and relax at the Riu all-inclusive for 4days/nights.

Questions:

I'm trying to get an efficient itinerary...we don't want to spend our precious vacation driving in circles. So from San Jose to Guanacaste, where should we stay and which activities should we do? I would love to do some cool little bed and breakfasts, etc. People rave about the Poas Lodge; should we plan an itinerary and somehow stay there 1 night?

Since we plan on doing all our activities in those first 3 days and just relaxing and probably staying at the Riu once we get there, should we keep our car and just do transfers back to the Guanacaste airport from the Riu in Guanacaste?

THANK YOU for your quick reply!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! I need to book today!

For 3 nights and the activities you want I suggest to go to the Arenal Volcanoa area. In Arenal you can find ziplines, floating , hiking, whitewater rafting, horseback rding to the fortuna falls , atv, aerial trams, hanging bridges and relaxing hot springs. You will find all you want there plus relaxing hot springs. If you are just planning to relax at Riu you would not need the car there, unless you are planning on more tours. The staff at Riu can get you a cab to the airport.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 18:39
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! I need to book today!

Lots of questions for someon booking today but I'll try to answer a few. I don;t know what time your plane lands in San Jose. If it's by 1 PM then pickup your rental car and head for Arenal for 3 nights. It's a 3 hour drive from the airport. Be sure and reserve a GPS. You can find basic directions and travel time at www.yourtravelmap.com

If you plane gets in much after 1 PM, I'd recommend booking an overnight in the Central Valley and then heading for Arenal the next morning. I have not stayed at the Poas Volcano Lodge but it's got great views online and fairly easy access to the top of Poas and LaPaz Waterfall gardens. The lodge is in an isolated setting so options for dining are limited and there's no nightlife. Be sure and head up to the top of Poas 1st thing in the morning before the fog rolls in.

Arenal is the adventure capital of Costa Rica with lots to do and 3 days will not be enough time to enjoy it all: ziplines (SkyTrek), canyoning (DeSafio) whitewater rafting, waterfall hike, hot springs, caving, volcano hike, visit to the wildlife sanctuary, Proyecto Asis, and kayaking on Lake Arenal.

For lodging you can check out www.arenal.net which has photos of most of the mid-range and high-end options. My favorite high end lodge is Lost Iguana is a splendidly isolated location with killer volcano views and a heated pool. If you want to be closer to the town of La Fortuna check out the cabins at Silencio del Campo. For a hot springs be sure and visit Tabacon but I would not recommend their food. You can buy passes online.

I'd keep the car for the rest of the trip so you can use it to explore nearby beaches. The Riu has a great pool but not much of a beach.

Hope you have a great trip.

3. Re: HELP! I need to book today!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 10:18