We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental agreements

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
rental agreements

We have rented a place in Playa de Coco and just received a copy of the rental agreement to sign. The agreement asks for our passport numbers. Is this a common practise in Costa Rica or can we refuse to give it or make a number up? I do not feel comfortable giving out my passport number.

Thanks for your help.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental agreements

It's a common question, but who is the rental company? You should look into the company before sending any information or money. You can use the search feature at the top of this page to do so. You can also do a Google search and see what you come up with.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: rental agreements

It's a real estate company called Costa Rica Vacation One. I've talked to them on the phone so I'm thinking they are legit but I will try the search feature.

Thanks

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental agreements

It is normal to ask for ID number, but good idea checking out the company. I would suggest you ask them for a copy of the Municipality permit to operate the home as a rental. Many municipalities have been cracking down on Vacation Rentals without licenses.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rental agreements

Yes, it is common to ask for id when renting homes. Do check them out. I have never heard of such Municipality permit.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental agreements

Villa rentals need "Permiso Comercial de Hospedaje" or "Patente" from the local municipality as well as a Ministerio de Salud permiso de funcionamento (Health Ministry) and the renter registered with the Ministerio de Hacienda with 13% taxes collected as well as other taxes. I was talking to the local Municipality official in Osa and they are hitting up all specialiity lodging and vacation rentals listed in TA and VRBO with the reviews as proof of commercial operation with fines and closures as well as Judicial orders.

I too was surprised, but any place used comercialy "ie short term rentals" need to be up to par legaly registered in Costa Rica, many owners do not know this. Any commercial activity needs to be legaly registered and pay the apropriate taxes.

6. Re: rental agreements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:15