We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

We fly into San Jose, arriving about 3 pm on Feb. 25, and plan to spend two nights to visit La Paz and Poas before heading down to Dominical. We are debating whether to stay closer to the airport in Alajuela or to stay out of town, closer to Poas.

We are looking at La Rosa de America in Alajuela, and could have the car delivered to us the first morning after arrival so we can get to Poas early, then leave from there the following day for Dominical. Any other suggestions for lodging around $100 per night that would be practical for our needs? I looked at Poas Volcano Lodge - looks lovely, but a little more than we wanted to spend.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

I've heard nice things about Poas Lodge if you want to check that one out.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

Or stay at any hotel in Alajuela..get the car in the morning and drive back to Alajula to keep going!

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

The Orquideas Inn is right at the junction of the roads to Alajuela, Poas, and Arenal/Pacific coast. We used it as our base for exploring Poas and La Paz.

$100 gets you a big room with a king sized bed, separate seating area, and lovely balcony view. Plus there's a pool and hot tub and lovely grounds to wander around or hike.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

Thanks for the replies - I'm checking out Poas Lodge and Orquideas Inn. I still like Rosa de America, but Poas Lodge looks promising as well!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

I would recommend receiving your car the night before, as Poas is often clouded and/or fogged by mid morning, so when you speak about leaving "early", you should do just that and reduce the chance of a disappointing visit. Have a safe holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

I agree with Cajon traveler. Get the car rental on arrival. The poas volcano apark opens at 8am

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

Couple of questions regarding picking up a car upon arrival:

- How do we avoid the 12% fee charged to pick up at the airport? Are there offsite companies that shuttle you to their lots and do not charge that fee?

- Our flight arrives at SJO at 3:00 p.m. Would we have enough time to get to Poas Lodge before dark? I'm told by the owner it takes about 40 minutes from the airport, but I've no idea how long it takes to clear customs and get baggage, car, etc.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

Probably enough time if you have a GPS.

I don't think Tricolor charged us for pick up at the airport. The other time we used them they dropped a car off for us at the Orquideas Inn.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

If you have a company like Tricolor waiting for you (and yes, they are off-site) when you arrive, and you don't encounter customs/immigration issues, you should be fine. Their office is very close to the SJ airport. The sun sets around 6, and the roads may not be lit to your usual driving standards, but take your time, straight up 712, and the lodge sign is well lit and easily seen if darkness has fallen. Have a safe trip.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choosing hotel to visit La Paz/Poas

Thanks Cajon Traveler and Racandee!