We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Day Itinerary...Is this too much?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
330 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
8 Day Itinerary...Is this too much?

My wife and I are visiting at the end of September and a local travel agent gave me the proposed itinerary and would appreciate your advice if it’s too much in addition to helping several questions I have below.

Wed Sept 18th Arrive San Jose 11:30AM, drive to La Fortuna

Sept 19th -20th: Arenal, white water rafting, rappelling/zipline

Sept 21st: Drive to Playa Conchal: Side trips?

Sept 22nd: Tamarindo Beach Marathon

Sept 23rd: Drive to Manuel Antonio

Sept 24th: Visit National Park near Uvita

Sept 25th: Visit Manuel Antonio

Sept 26th: Drive back to San Jose 12:30PM flight home

I’m a little worried at how much driving we will do? Is it to much? I don’t mind road trips, but I want to get some relaxation time. Is there something worth stopping to see between La Fortuna and Playa Conchal? I read that Manuel Antonio is closed on Mondays, is that true? That is why I planned on driving to Uvita and visiting the national park that day, is that worth the drive in September? Finally, is there much of a difference in ziplining near Arenal vs. Manuel Antonio? I noticed it is less expensive in Arenal, but want to go with the best experience.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Day Itinerary...Is this too much?

Yes, try only two locations.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
330 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Day Itinerary...Is this too much?

Thanks Cubanon. I was thinking 2 sites too, but I'm locked in for Tamarindo on Sept 22nd due to the marathon and everyone insists that Manuel Antonio is a must; so that is why the 3rd location got added. Should I skip it and just stay in Playa Conchal for the extra 3 days or maybe even go back to Arenal after my race?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Day Itinerary...Is this too much?

Better idea to just skip Arenal and head straight to Conchal (assuming this is where you're basing for the marathon). The entire point of a beach resort is to relax, not spend 5 hours driving there, crashing, and then driving 5 hours somewhere else the next morning.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Day Itinerary...Is this too much?

Dear in and out..

Let try to give you driving times!

Wed Sept 18th Arrive San Jose 11:30AM, drive to La Fortuna...about 3 hours...good roada all the way...I like to drive by San Ramon!

Sept 19th -20th: Arenal, white water rafting, rappelling/zipline...it is a half day tour...

Sept 21st: Drive to Playa Conchal: Side trips?...About 4 hours drive...around Arenal lake...nice ride...

Sept 22nd: Tamarindo Beach Marathon...see you there...at least I´m planning to be there...

Sept 23rd: Drive to Manuel Antonio...about 4 hours...nice road all the way...take the road from Tamarindo to Santa Cruz...it is a little dusty they are doing some road work...from San ta Cruz...to Nicoya...then take Amistad Bridge all the way to Limonal...then Pan Am Hwy and conntect with 27 all the way to Orotina then 34 all the way to Quepos...Manuel Antonio...stop at Tarcoles bridge to see the huge crocs!

Sept 24th: Visit National Park near Uvita,,,nice road all the way to UVITA about 45 minutes great ride...some great pizza around Uvita...Piccola Roma...the best in my country...trust me!

Sept 25th: Visit Manuel Antonio...about 2.5 hours hike...great little park!

Sept 26th: Drive back to San Jose 12:30PM flight home...about 3 hours ride...maybe good idea to leave Manuel Antonio around 7am to have enough time to return car and to check in on time at SJO!

roadadvisor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
330 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Day Itinerary...Is this too much?

Thank you Road Advisor. Are you running it? I'm a little concerned about running in the heat and humidity since I'm used to running in cool temps. I will have to will myself to slow down to not burn myself out early.

6. Re: 8 Day Itinerary...Is this too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:40