We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

South Carolina
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

We are spending 3 days in MA then 3 days in Arenal. We have one night between that we could spend on the trip between.

Please advise where might be a good stop to enjoy, not too far out of the way.

Thanks for advise.

N

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Dear NanseaJ.

Some different ways to drive to Arenal from MA...

I really like to take 34 all the way to Orotina...then 27 all the way to the Turrubares exit...then to Atenas...then take the road to Palmares...that is a well know short cut used mostly by locals...nice narrow road with some incredible views...once in Palmares take the Pan Am Hwy toward San Ramon then to La Fortuna -Arenal.

Some people like to drive all the way 34 to take 27 all the way to Barranca to take Pan Am Hwy North all the way until San Ramon then to La Fortuna- Arenal..

Some others will do...34 and 27 getting out in La Garita-Turrubares...take the Garita all the way to Pan Am Hwy South...then drive to the Naranjo exit...and drive to Zarcero...Ciudad Quesada...then Florencia then Santa Clara...to la Fortuna-Arenal...if you go that way...nice place to have a break...Rancho de Ceci in Zarcero great food!

Hopefully I did not confuse you way to much...the driving time is about 4 to 5 hours depending the way you choose!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Might I suggest that you consider a night in Monteverde/Santa Elena, as the terrain is different to both MA and Arenal/La Fortuna. There are many places to spend the night with various price points, some excellent restaurants, and you will be in the cloud forest area of CR, something you have to experience to believe. I like to think of it as a cross between the Alps and Vermont. There is a fairly easy route you can take, and when you need to head over to Arenal, you can take the lake route and see some additional beautiful territory with great photo ops. I like to plan a picnic on the shores of Lake Arenal. If you have a GPS with you it will be a pretty easy route to map out. Have a great holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Great Idea by Cajon Traveler Montverde Cloud Forest is a totally different area than Arenal and Manuel Antonio. Another idea on a different Cloud Forest and aprox half way would be the spend one night at the Los Angeles Cloud Forest at the Hotel Villa Blanca by San Ramon

South Carolina
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Great advice. Thanks alot!

N

South Carolina
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

Thanks for info.

N

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

You are WELCOME...feel free to ask any question here at the forum any time!

ROADADVISOR

7. Re: driving Manuel Antonio to Arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:17