We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

We need to rent a 4x4 next March to travel from San Jose to Dominical. I'm confused about which makes and models are the roomiest, since some of the vehicles are older models, or are a little different than the models in the states. Do the vehicles that accommodate 7 passengers have much room in them? Will passengers 6 & 7 be sitting backwards, or sitting with their knees up by their noses - lol? Does anyone have any experience renting a large vehicle that can advise as to exactly which type we should get?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

You'll need at least a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 7 PAX or a Mitsubishi Montero 7 PAX. They are large vehicles.

If I were you, however, I likely opt for a Nissan Urvan or a Toyota Hiace. They are both 12-13 PAX minivans. Much easier to get in and out of and everyone will have lots of room.

You'll never get all the luggage into the 7 PAX vehicles, either. Unless everyone just has a carryon.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,460 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

We have a couple Toyota Prados...even that are certifiied for 7 pax´s...the last JUMP SEAT are tigh...perfect for kids...and the luggage space...almost ZERO...you most be ready to palce luggage at the roof racks...

The problem with a van is that around Dominical and Uvita many hills and up and downs...and in many cases you really need a 4x4...a real 4x4...not easy to drive up and down with a non 4x4...

roadadvisor

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

Thanks for both of your replies. A van won't work for us since the house we are staying in has a steep road leading to it, and as roadadvisor mentioned, we will need a real 4x4. I'm a little worried about the "jump seat" - we have two kids, but the teen is taller than I. So, I'll either be in the "jump seat" or we may rent two vehicles which means I'll be driving the second one (gulp). Are the Monteros any better for comfort and room?

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

If it is going to be 7 adults, it is better to get 2 cars. Few car rentals have larger vehicles. Try Toyota Rent a Car for a sequoia Toyota http://toyotarent.com/cars/premium-fleet/

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

That Sequoia will set you back more than a few $$$. $210 a day? You can get almost 4 Rav4s for that price.

Two Rav4s would seem to be the way to go. About half the price of the Sequoia, although you will have to pay 2X the insurance. The new models are quite big, with lots of luggage room.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

I would rent a Prado for the week.

FOr the San Jose to DOminical portion I would hire a private transport to take 2 people and the luggage.

This way you save money (if you are staying a week).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,460 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

The Mitsubishi Montero...very much the same situation than the Prado..

I´m glad you understand about the importance of having a 4x4 around Uvita and DOminical some hills to get to some houese are really somenthing else!

roadadvisor

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

Looks like we have few options - I'll have to do some number crunching. We would have more flexibility once in Dominical if we have two vehicles - not everyone may want to do the same thing each day. The hills around Dominical will be part of the adventure - at least they won't be covered in snow and ice!

If we have our vehicles delivered to our hotel (Doubletree Cariari) and leave very early in the morning, how bad/crazy will the traffic be getting out of the San Jose area? That is the part that makes me uneasy about renting two vehicles and me having to drive one of them.

9. Re: Which 4x4 for 7 passengers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:16