We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manzanillo, drive or bus?

Calgary, Alberta...
2 posts
Save Topic
Manzanillo, drive or bus?

Hello,

my boyfriend and I will be in costa rica for the majority of August. We are planning on spending the last week on the Caribbean coast, and it seems like Manzanillo is so far the best choice. (Does anyone else have any other suggestions for the coast?)

We will have a rental car for the first two weeks of the trip, but we were wondering if it is worth it to keep the car to get down there, or if bus/ transit is a better idea?

Is there any other areas around there that is worth having a car to get too, and how are the roads down there?

Thank you for your suggestions and answers!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manzanillo, drive or bus?

Manzanillo is a small hamlet at the end of the road ... perfect for a relaxed and low profile holidays. The beach is excellent, nearby Gandoca Manzanillo NP also, several restaurants (Maxi being the best). Local bus can be used to reach Puerto Viejo and/or Cahuita. The frequency of the bus is low so not good if interesting into some late evenings in Puerto Viejo. Luckily taxi is not expensive. Many locals and visitors alike can be seen riding the bike, but do it during the daylight. Personally, I have been in PV twice, once without a car and once with a car. I can say that having a car is not essential in that area.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manzanillo, drive or bus?

It will cost you around $20 each way to go into Puerto Viejo by taxi, though I love Manzanillo to spend a day at beach, a hike, or eating at Maxi's, without a car stay closer to town.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,308 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manzanillo, drive or bus?

Drive to Manzanillo form San Jose is only 3.5 hours or at little more...great drive....just common sense...drive during the day...PLEASE!

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manzanillo, drive or bus?

Manzanillo is always a great day out - hiking, beach, even turtle watching, but it is a small place for a long stay, especially without a car. You might want to consider Cahuita or Puerto Viejo as your base for exploring the rest of the coast. There is a good chance of wonderful weather, so enjoy your time wherever you decide!

Calgary, Alberta...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manzanillo, drive or bus?

Okay thank you all for your input!

I think that we might end up staying in PV or Cahuita, and doing day trips down to Manzanillo and area. From what I read, it seems like there is a good bus system, and that will save us quiet a bit of money!

6. Re: Manzanillo, drive or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:16