We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

Original itinerary in Late August (was a solo trip)

1 - San Jose because of late flight in (Hostel Pangea)

2 - Rafting Pacuare River to PV (Banana Azul)

3, 4, 5 - PV (Banana Azul)

6, 7 - Tortuguero (Casa Marbella)

8, 9 - San Jose (Hotel Dunn Inn)

10, 11, 12 - Arenal (Lost Iguana)

13, 14 - San Jose (hotel tbd)

15 - 7am flight back to California

New Thoughts (boyfriend is now coming)

1 - San Jose because of late flight in (Hostel Pangea)

3, 4, 5 - PV (Banana Azul)

6, 7 - Bocas del Toro (hotel tbd)

8, 9 - Tortuguero (Casa Marbella)

10, 11, 12 - Arenal (Lost Iguana)

13, 14 - San Jose or one more night in Arenal and one night by airport (hotel tbd)

What do you think about nixing the 2 extra days in San Jose in favor of Bocas? Where should we stay in Bocas? What should we do? How long will it take to travel by boat and bus from Bocas to Tortuguero? Is it easy to travel by boat and bus to Arenal from Tortuguero, how long?

We could also just stay 2 extra days in PV instead of going to Bocas.

Thanks all!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,406 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

No travel by boat between Bocas and Tortuguero at least in a commercial boat sorry!

The best you can do is to get a bus to take you to Aguas Zarcas and from there to Sarapiqui to try to meet the groups heading to Tortuguero...by La Pavona...or by Caño Blanco...

To Bocas is nice to get the tours out of Puerto Viejo!

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,280 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

For logistical reasons I would skip BdT. Check this one:

1 - San Jose (Alajuela) because of late flight in (Hostel Pangea)

3, 4, 5, 6 - PV (Banana Azul)

7, 8 - Tortuguero (Casa Marbella)

9, 10, 11 - Arenal (Lost Iguana)

12, 13 - Monteverde (Rainbow Valley Lodge)

14 - one night by airport (hotel tbd)

Also consider Alajuela for your first and/or last night, much nicer and closer to SJO.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

Well I LOVE Bocas. I arrange my trips around Bocas so I wouldn't cut Bocas out. Look into Nature Air and flight to and from bocas. May help you out with travel time. One night in San Jose IMO.

Can you do Arenal, Tort, PV, Bocas then fly back to San Jose then leave the next day? Nature Air doesn't fly Bocas to San Jose every day. Have you already booked your flight? Often it is cheaper to fly into SJO and out of PTY. They have daily flights from Bocas to Panama City. Then you can see PC.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

My dates Arenal are set because of a Groupon that I got. I know I'm doing this a little backwards. I really want to do BDT now that I've been reading about it more and this gives us more time on the Carribean beach area.

We just found out that we have to split up the 4 nights in PV because the transport to Tortuguero leaves there at 8am and we wouldn't be back from BDT until 11am. So we are going to do 3 nights in PV, 2 in BDT, 1 more night in PV and then go to Tortuguero.

Where should we stay in Bocas? We're looking for budget and FUN. May book at Aqua Lounge, but want to be able to sleep after WE are done partying :-). Should we stay someone in Bocas Town (preferably where we can sleep if we want to) and take water taxis to all of the bars and discos?

How do we get from Tortuguero to Arenal? And how much does it cost, how long is the travel time?

Edited: 05 July 2012, 19:53
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

Check out Cocomo in Bocas. Sounds perfect for you, but it books up fast, only 4 rooms.

6. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2012, 18:37
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

We can actually skip Tortuguero if we do decide to stay longer. Who knows. Please advise on places to stay.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

This post is in the general Costa Rica forum. I suggest going to the individual forums and read some hotel reviews and for BDT go to the Panama Forum. I already mentioned my favorite place but you will see some other recs on BDT forum. Bastimentos John is right, most people wish they would have stayed longer in BDT. Try to do at least 3 nights. There is a lot to do and see there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

Now I want to go to Rio Celeste! How can I squeeze that in? I'm okay with exclusions to do so. Or maybe we can do a day trip from Arenal before heading back to San Jose (see itinerary above)?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Rica - Comments on my Change of Plans

Rio Celeste in rainy season may be a wash. The day or 2 after it rains the water turns muddy and not worth the hike. If you hit a dry stretch in Arenal you can sign up for a dayhike to Rio Celeste after you arrive.