We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal and Monteverde itinerary

Jupiter, Florida...
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal and Monteverde itinerary

I am traveling with my 18 year old son for a short trip before he leaves for college. We will be there for 5 or 6 days (two are travel).

I have been reading other forum entries, but could use some direction on the best route (airport - Monteverde - Arenal - airport OR reverse order) and length of stay.

We enjoy hiking and the outdoors and want to make the best of this short trip. We want to include a hike around the volcano, zip line, caves/waterfalls, etc..

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We travel in three weeks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal and Monteverde itinerary

SJO to Arenal 3 hours maybe a couple nights...

Arenal Monteverde...by jeep boat jeep a couple nights...then back to SJO!

You can do shuttles or just rent a small Toyota Yaris!!

roadadvisor

NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal and Monteverde itinerary

Hi jkjkmore,

We had a recent trip to Costa Rica where we had 6 nights and our time was spent in Arenal and Monteverde. I should say that we did not drive and based on the road conditions, and not knowing my way around, that was a good choice.

Here was our itinerary.

Day 1 - Since we arrived late, we stayed at an airport hotel. If you arrive much earlier, you may want to transfer immediately to Arenal. I believe it was under 3 hours.

Day 2 - Transport to Arenal, check into hotel, volcano hike, dinner and hot springs at the Springs Resort.

Day 3 - Sky tram. We did not zipline but you can have that option. We spent the afternoon and evening taking advantage of the hot springs, wildlife sanctuary, and other activities at The Springs Resort which was a 2 day pass. You may instead choose the La Fortuna waterfall hike.

Day 4 - Van/Boat/Van transfer to Monteverde. Note the van ride after the boat ride is quite bumpy. In the afternoon, we spent time shopping in the downtown area, and went to the Orchid Gardens. In the evening we went on The Hidden Valley Night Tour which was great.

Day 5 - Hanging Bridges walking tour, Reptile Gardens, lunch at El Jardin, Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardens, and El Trapiche Coffee and Sugar Cane tour.

Day 6 - Private transfer back to the airport hotel stopping in Sarchi.

Day 7 - Leave

There are many companies that can help you with a customized itinerary. We used www.anywherecostarica.com and were happy. This forum can give you recommendations for other similar type companies as well.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

travelus73

3. Re: Arenal and Monteverde itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:45