We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

Austin, Texas
12 posts
Save Topic
Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

My husband and I visited CR in February of 2010 and had a great time. We want to go back and hope to plan our trip around the best whitewater. We are white water enthusiasts(more so my husband) so I am looking for input on when the Pacuare is best for experiencing more class IV rapids. We rafted the Pacuare during our last visit with Exploradores Outdoors and our guide mentioned December. Is this the best? What about earlier in the fall? Hoping to not be there the same time as the masses for Thanksgiving/Christmas break. Thanks!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

Any time between June-December(Green Season) is typically good.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

September October a lot of rain on the Turrialba hills...sometimes even the trip has to be cancel since it is so much water...really nice...and around those days the run can be fsat really fast!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

June to December is our rainy season and time for a best bet for the exhilarating and adrenaline run you are looking for.

The river system of the Pacuare permits to run this river year round. Being April - May the lowest months, time for an amazing emerald green color of the water and bird watching during mating season.

Personally I always answer to your question: "Whenever you need it!".

Hope this helps,

Fernando Esquivel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

So would the second week of March still have rapids or would it be a slow trip and not very good?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

the Pacuare is ALWAYS a fantastic ride. The rapids are faster in high season, but it's still a challenging river in low water.

And, it's just so beautiful that even if it took 8 hours to run it would be worth it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

MArch can be low volume of water!

roadadivsor

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

Is there another river to raft in March that you recommend? If water levels are low, would the more dangerous rivers be less dangerous?

Thank you for your quick reply too. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

Thank you. That is also a good point, for taking photos and video.

9. Re: Best time of year to raft Pacuare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 06:16