We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

Boca Raton
Level Contributor
139 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

Can I use American dollars- and will credit card transactions be done in dollars- also I hear that on Highway 1 I will need coins or Colones for the highway.

Just want to know if you need to do money exchange or can I travel and use dollars like I do here in US. Thanks

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

A recent thread was covering a lot of your questions and you can see a similar question on the right hand column under the title 'common questios about Costa Rica'.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309265-i4753-k558…

The currency of Costa Rica is the Colon. You can use dollars in many places but you may get your change in colones and can use them for tolls for the highway etc, but it would be worth having some colones in your pocket for buying a soda at the store or other small purchases. You may also find that the exchange rate for dollars is low is some places and it is better to pay in colones.

The exchange rate is roughly 500 colones to the dollar so it is easy to convert.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Isla Colon
Isla Colon
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
CT
Level Contributor
89 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

Everywhere we went in Costa Rica accepted US dollars. However, if you needed change, the change would always be in colones. Our credit card transactions appeared on statements as US dollars. However, most of the actual charges on the sales receipts from CR were listed as colones.

We did not use money on the highway as we had private drivers, so not sure how that works. My guess is they would accept dollars as well.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,133 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

I have not yet been to CR (leaving in2 days) but in every other country i have been in, you want credit card charges in local currency. This way your bank will calculate the exchange rate- you will get the interbank rate plus whatever markup your bank does for processing foreign transactions. If you allow a merchant to charge in US$, then the merchant gets to choose the exchnage rate (which wont be favorable to you) and your bank will probably still charge you the foreign trans fee. Bottom line - charges in local currency will be cheaper for you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,595 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

You can use USD almost anywhere....and of course CC...do not worry...but also good idea to have some colones with you just in case....just exchange some Colones at a local baqnk...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

Thank you Sara, Riley and november for answering the mystical question of how the charges end up on your c/card statement.

As always, the c/card companies will work the exchange in their favor, and regardless of what the local currency is, if you have a US$ card, that is how you will always be charged, the conversion rate is included as a line item. Those of you who have traveled here and experienced the beauty that is Costa Rica...

THANK YOU

And we hope you come back soon.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
999 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

We used only Colones and the exchange rate was much better than using US$. The difference at one dinner in Tamarindo was close to $20 if you paid in US dollars, so it can add up. It was hard at times to get good change for tips as the ATM's dispense about the equivalent of $20 US bills, but I always bring a stack of $1, $5 and $10 for housekeeping, bell service, and valet.

We just stopped at bank ATM's as needed and withdrew Colones. It worked out perfectly!

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Boca Raton
Level Contributor
139 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

the tours seemed to be priced in dollars- should i wait until i get there and ask to be chareged in colones?

Boca Raton
Level Contributor
139 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

the tours seemed to be priced in dollars- should i wait until i get there and ask to be chareged in colones?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

wait and shop around for the best price, whether it is in colones or dollars. Just book a day or so in advance to ensure that there's space for you.

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about using dollars- how are CC billed- Colones/$?

I always use my Capital One credit card as they do not charge international credit card fees and I always get the best rate. Discover just announced they do not charge international fees now, but Discover is not accepted in as many places as master card. I use very little cash while traveling - only for very small purchases for both safety and convenience.