We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Columbia...
Level Contributor
434 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
First time....need help! :)

My mom, son 10 and daughter 7 and I are planning a trip for 6 nights in early December. We really want to see animals, experience the rainforest, see a volcano, etc. My mom only wants us to stay in one hotel/resort/etc, not move around. I'm overwhelmed trying to decide what area to stay in that would enable us to do a lot and not travel around much. Also, my 7 year old definently wants to horse back ride, so i want to find a place that has that for young kids nearby.

Please give me your suggestions on what area to stay? (wherever we stay must have a pool :) )

thanks so much!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time....need help! :)

First of all depending on your arrival and departure times you may need to overnight at either end of the trip near the airport. That's a good thing as the airport in San Jose is roughly an hour from the top of Poas volcano so you might be able to squeeze in a drive to the top at the beginning or end of your trip. If you also want to visit a beach you should probably be looking at Manuel Antonio which has abundant wildlife in the national park, lots of restaurants and excursions nearby and a wide range of lodging.

Take a look at Si Como No for starters which is an excellent award-winning hotel with a free shuttle to the beach/national park. www.sicomono.com/

If a beach is not important on this trip, we've got more ideas so just let us know and it would help to have a handle on your budget. Luxury, moderate, budget?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time....need help! :)

Arenal/La Fortuna area sounds perfect for you - loads of activities and hotels with Los Lagos being popular with families.

You can hike the hanging bridges, do a boat tour at Cano Negro, zipline/canopy tour, visit a waterfall, horseback ride, go to an animal rescue center, visit thermal springs - plenty to do!

You can either rent a car, take the Interbus shuttle or hire a private driver. If you don't have your own car, most tours offer transfers.

Depending on your flight schedules you may need to overnight first and/or last night close to SJO.

Have fun!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time....need help! :)

It would be more ideal if you can spent a few days in Arenal/la Fortuna area and a few days in manuel Antonio. About 3 hours from SJO to Arenal area, 5 hours to MA, and 3 hours back to SJO.

Columbia...
Level Contributor
434 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time....need help! :)

any suggestions for a specific hotel to stay at?

Columbia...
Level Contributor
434 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time....need help! :)

I thought Si Como No did not have a pool? Am i wrong?

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time....need help! :)

Si Como No in Manuel Antonio definitely has a pool. One is great for families, the other for adults only!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time....need help! :)

Yes, you are wrong. They have more than one pool, great kids pool and an adult pool!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time....need help! :)

Si Como No has two pools - one is adult only. Please check out their website, although I admit their photos are heavily slanted toward showing the general area rather than their own specific facilities. You can find lots of photos and hotel reviews for Si Como No on the tripadvisor site if you do a search.

The vast majority of the hotels around Manuel Antonio and also around Arenal have swimming pools, so that should not be a problem unless you are looking for Olympic size pools or those resort "lazy river" type pools which are not typically found in Costa Rica because the beaches are so attractive.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,474 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time....need help! :)

Great idea...Arenal or Manuel Antonio or even both...you can fly In and Out of SJO...

Or Rincon de la Vieja Volcano ...check Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin...great place everything you are loking for...nice in this case to fly In and Out of LIR.

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time....need help! :)

If you don´t want to move around , what comes up to my mind is defenetely Hacienda Guachipelin at Rincón de la Vieja as roadadvisor suggests, you will find there everything you are looking for in one place : Active Volcano with fumaroles, natural hot springs and mud baths, horsebackriding to spectacular waterfalls where you can swim, other activities like zip lining and tubbing are there, open air serpentarium, butterfly garden, etc.. You , your mom and your kids will love it. Chek it