We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

Curridabat, Costa...
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

I notice for a lot of popular destinations throughout Costa Rica, there's a bus that leaves from San Jose about 6 AM and then another around 2 PM. But is it actually safe to travel to the Coca-Cola bus stations that early in the morning? I live in Curridabat, so it'd be fairly safe to take a bus into San Jose around 5 AM.. but once I get there and it's still pitch dark, are all of the thieves in bed by then? Or should I basically just take a taxi to the bus station once I get off the bus in San Jose?

I understand that I need to practice safe caution at all times, but still.. having a bus leave at 6 AM just seems a little dangerous, are there enough people that actually take these 6 AM buses?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

I will said tha is safe...of course common sense...but the best safest way is to take a taxi from bus station to the next bus station in this case Coca Cola!

You right and some bad guys are awake all night long!

roadadvisor

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

At that time you will find lots of people going to work. As you know (because I understand you live here) most people have to be at work between 7 and 8 am, so if you need to take a 6 am bus you will notice a lot of people already around finding their way to work, and we you get to La Coca Cola it will most probably be fully clear by then. If you are not carrying anything you might walk the distance, but if you feel safer, just take the taxi.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

As crpuravida says, there will be lots of people on their way to work, you will be just one more person in the crowd, why bother paying for what will be an expensive taxi ride in slow rush hour traffic?(yes, rush hour starts that early)

You will be perfectly safe.

Curridabat, Costa...
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

I see. Thanks everyone!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

The Coca Cola isn't a great place any time of day and it is always wise to watch your belongings carefully here or at any of the bus terminals. I would agree with others that 6 am isn't any more unsafe that 2pm! Look confident and act like you know where you're going (even when you don't). Enjoy bus travel. It is a great opportunity to use your Spanish and see the country in a way that you can't in your own vehicle!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

Good point as always by Sara!

Of course nobody can never GUARANTEE that you will be perfectly safe.

...just common sense!

roadadvisor

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

The Coca Cola isn't the best part of town and I have encountered down on their luck or sketchy people at all hours. I only go there to purchase a bus ticket or to catch a bus.

By now you may have realized that there are few street name signs in San Jose. I usually end up counting blocks from a major street or landmark to help orient myself. The best thing to do is to look at a map of the area and know where you are going.

If you have luggage keep it with you at all times (as suggested above) and don't allow someone to 'help' you with your bags no matter how persistent they may be. They'll end up helping themselves to your stuff or trying to extract a fee for 'helping' you.

If you are lost, there's usually a taxi nearby to get you to where you're going.

I have been bothered by guys who want something, but they usually leave you alone when they realize you're not going to give them money, etc. I have never felt unsafe or afraid. It's an opportunity to practice & improve your Spanish (déjame en paz, señor!).

8. Re: Safe to Take 6AM Buses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 10:16