We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Costa Rica 2

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go in Costa Rica 2

My husband and I are looking to go on our first trip to Costa Rica and have no idea where to go. We are looking for a relaxing all inclusive hotel possibly on the beach, but do like to get out and see "the sights". We are not really in to the adventure type activities (zip lining, rafting etc). But think the monkeys, rain forest volcanos seem interesting. Not opposed to renting a car but prefer to stay in one hotel throughout. Oh, and we plan to go at the end of August. We would greatly Appreciate any feedback

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

Seeing the sights and all-inclusive on the beach are very close to mutually exclusive.

There are very lovely places on the beach where you can see wildlife, but they are not all-inclusive resorts, but rather boutique-type properties.

For the end of August, I would look on the Caribbean side. Maybe a combination of Tortuguero and Puerto Viejo.

For volcanoes, you can see two craters within 1 hour of San Jose (Irazu and Poas) or you could drive to Arenal to see the cone of a volcano, but visibility and cloud cover is always an issue there. (Poas has visibility issues, so if you want a sure thing probably best to take an early trip to Irazu.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

There are no all-inclusive hotels near rainforests or volcanos. The number of AIs in Costa Rica is very small and they tend to be in isolated locations along the north Pacific coast. You can either stay at an AI and take daytrips inland to see wildlife and volcanos in which case you should fly into Liberia for a short transfer to the beach. AIs include the Westin Playa Conchal, Hilton Papagayo, Barcelo Playa Langosta and more.

Or you could fly into San Jose, head for Manuel Antonio to enjoy wildlife, rainforest and beautiful beaches, but no AIs. Check out Buena Vista Villas or Arenas del Mar or Si Como No. Then spend a night in the Central Valley near the airport at either end of your trip and you can drive up to the top of Poas Volcano.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

If you want all inclusive properties on the beach y ou nee d to fly to Liberia. Some all inclusive properties are the Westin Playa Conchal, The Riu Guanacaste, the Hilt on Papagayo, Flamingo beach hotel (This last hotel has a plan with just breakfast or an all inclusive plan). From any of t hose hotels you can take day trips t o the Rincon de La Vieja Volcano, The Palo verde Nation al park boat tours, the Heliconia Rain Forest, the Rio Celeste Hike, ziplines etc.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

I will not recommend RIU at all...just check why most of posters at this forum do not like to recoomend or support that hotel or resort.....that kill most of the wild life...dry out creeks and natural ponds...even human lifes were lost when they were builidng that atrocity ugly plastic monument to bad taste...!

some people will do it...but most of the time people that make huge commisions or get freebies...some people will do or said anything for a drink or a free dinner!

For the best AI in our country Westin Playa Conchal...the best by far...!

Maybe nice to spend a couple days at Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin by Rincon de la Vieja Volcano...just 45 minutes from LIR....

Westin is better to fly to LIR...just 1 hour away even less...from SJO is about 4 hours...great road all the way!

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

If you're going to stay in one hotel, you might want to takea shuttle bus or taxi rather than hire a car. Ifyou're planning plenty of day trips though, it'll be worth your while to rent a car. Have a great trip.

Quepos, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

I am a 10 yr resident and have traveled extensively throughout Costa Rica and I would suggest an all inclusive in the the south of Costa Rica...Peninsula de Osa. There are many available. There are accessible by a national airline or boat only. I like that....Private beaches with absolutely nobody on them, maybe you will see someone passing occassionally and walking through the trail parallel to the beach I saw 17 Red macaws take flight and monkeys and birds galore......a great place to relax and enjoy.

7. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 August 2012, 01:05
Quepos, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

We are currently in our rainy season and the Caribbean side is getting alot of attention of just passing Hurracane Ernesto...just lots of rain and washed out roads....I do not recommend the Atlantic side this time of year. I am a 10 yr resident and know our climates well...

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

Well donareina maybe it is time to visit the Atlantic side. There were two days with a lot of rain and problems, washed out roads were near Sixaola but that is more then a week ago, since then the weather has been gorgeous and still is. Interestingly, hurricanes in the Caribbean usually create more rain on the Pacific side of Costa Rica and better weather on Costa Ricas atlantic coast.

Oh and private beaches do not exist in Costa Rica, the first 50 meters of the maritime zone are public.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in Costa Rica 2

With Geckoes Lodge all the way! Been in the pool all afternoon to cool down from the hot sun....and September is usually even better than August on the Caribbean coast.