We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to travel alone for first time, where to go?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking to travel alone for first time, where to go?

I am a 26 male, first time traveling alone and have found that Costa Rica is a great place for it. I speak both english and spanish :)

I'm from NYC and want to have a good time, enjoy the beaches and bars/clubs. The purpose of this trip is to learn how to be by myself and meet new people, kind of grow as a man in the process.

While I would like a bit of tourism, it wouldn't be the focus of my trip. What's a good beach town with a young crowd I can go to and have the best time possible? A friend of mine suggested Puerto Viejo.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Manakin Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Central American Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Rancho Humo
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to travel alone for first time, where to go?

A few places for what you want are : Puerto Viejo, Limon, the Jaco Beach area or the Tamarindo beach area in Gunacaste

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to travel alone for first time, where to go?

Thanks for the pointers, I'll keep narrowing down from your list!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,100 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to travel alone for first time, where to go?

Dear The Mechanic...

Great idea...but maybe good for us here at the forum yo know when are you planning to visit our country...since some times the weather is nice in some areas but nicer in anothers!

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to travel alone for first time, where to go?

Puerto Viejo is a great place to meet other young people and find bars to hang out in. You might like the vibe in Montezuma which is very laid back and a bit hippy or Santa Teresa, Malpais area where young people head to surf and party.

Jaco and Tamarindo are bigger party towns but are also way more touristy. If you speak Spanish, you don`t have to go where all the tourists go!

Hope you find the personal growth experience that you`ll looking for! What a great goal for your trip, I admire that!

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
5. Re: Looking to travel alone for first time, where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 06:15