We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need suggestions for an 8 day trip

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
99 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
need suggestions for an 8 day trip

My wife and I are looking to book an activity-driven vacation in CR...We have not commited to an airport or coast. We are looking at the first week in December and were told to stay on the West Coast at that time of year. The only thing that we know for sure is that we want to break the vacation up to 3-4 days jungle and 4-5 beach. We are open to renting a car (if recommended) and definitely want to do ziplining, and a day of scenic hiking with hot springs/falls/bridges...then scuba, fishing and surfing in a beach town. We do not want to stay at any large resorts...or in super-touristy towns...We want to have a Costa Rican vacation...I would love to hear as many recommendations on how to split this trip up as possible...Thanks!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

IMO I would rent a car. More freedom and fun that way. I dig Adobe - http://www.adobecar.com/

I would head to Arenal for the adventure tours available in the area. Desafio is an awesome company up that way for tours. http://www.desafiocostarica.com/

After that and to escape some more touristy beach areas maybe Montezuma, Dominical, or try Samara. Check the hotel reviews here on Trip Advisor to get some lodging ideas, lots of good info. More will chime in soon.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

reat idea...rent a car...in your case is a great way to know Costa Rica...

Maybe from SJO to Arenal about 3 hours ride,,,a lot of fun soft adventure tours...zip lines...Rafting...hikes...canopy...horse back rides...of course Hot Springs...

From Arenal you can drive to any Guanacaste beach like...Tamarindo...Hermosa...Avellanas...Conchal Brasilito...Potrero...and you can fly out of LIR...

Or you can go from Arenal to Manuel Antonio or Dominical...Uivta...check Tiky Villas in Uvita lovely place...just a few suites...incredible nice ocean views...you can take a dive or snorkeling tour to Caño Island from Uvita...and also hike to some great tropical waterfalls...nice hikes...so refreshing...cold water...well clod for us!

roadadvisor

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
99 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

This is great and is exactly what we were thinking...We are leaning toward going to Arenal for 2 days and then leaving for Dominical...The problem we are running into is that I can not find a good half-way point to split the trip back...would like it to be a beach town, but half-way looks like a "dusty port town with poluted water" as described by another post...What woudl you recommend for a 1 day fun stay?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
99 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

Sorry...I re-read my post and realized the wording may be confusing...I need a nice place to spend a day to break up the trip from Arenal to Dominical.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

Jaco would probably be the best place. If you made it all the way to Manuel Antonio, you would do just as well continuing another 45 minutes.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

what about 2 days in Arenal 2 days in Rincon de la Vieja and the rest in Tamarindo or Flamingo

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
99 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

Rincon de la Vieja looks better than Arenal...Is there reason to even go to Arenal if we go th Rincon? We want to hit hot springs...Hike a volcano, rappelling down a waterfall and zipline...I want to stay off the beaten path an keep it as low key as possible..The hit the beaches to surf and fish...We are still very open to recommendations

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

Plenty of reasons to go to Arenal including better canyoning, hot springs and rainforest. That said, Hacienda Guachipelin is an awesome base for adventures if you go to Rincon de la Vieja.

9. Re: need suggestions for an 8 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 10:16