We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

Montreal
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

My husband and I will be arriving in San Jose on the night of Thurs. Feb. 14 and will overnight in San Jose, if we are renting car, or if next destination is not too far we will get driver to take us that evening. We then have the following 2 nights (Feb 15 & 16) on or own untill we pick up our "kids" (22 & 24) at SJO. We then will be spending 10 days with them, mostly on the Osa peninsula followed by 6 days ourselves on the Caribe side.

So the question is where to stay for those 2-3 nights not too far from San Jose that we can just chill and enjoy the scenery? Looking for ideas under $150.00/night (less is better) with a pool, good/charming atmosphere and decent food. We enjoy driving in new places but if we could save by not renting a car for this part of the trip even better!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

Check the sarapiqui rain forest area

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

I am going to recommend Hotel Buena Vista in rural/scenic Alajuela about 20 mins to the airport, but a world away, tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g309224-d293327-…

My Aunt makes a point to stay there when she flies in, and again when she flies out. The place has a gorgeous view, the hotel will arrange to meet you, or most taxis and private drivers know where it is, and for scenery, quiet reflection, I don't think you can beat it. Great full service restaurant and lots of spots to take the "Awwwww..wow" pictures. It's also within your budget.

Have a great holiday and THANK YOU for coming to share OUR beautiful country.

Edited: 28 August 2012, 21:46
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

You ca drive to Villas Caletas about 1.5 hours from SJO...incredible nice views and great food..

Xandary plantation in Tambor de Alajuela just 25 minutes from SJO...also incredible...great views ...great food...

Poas Lodge about 45 minutes from SJO charming place...

About 30 minutes by Pan Am Hwy...going North...Hotel Vista del Valle Plantation INN.

Thank you for visitng OUR country...such a nice country that even visitors call it OUR BEAUTIFULL COUNTRY!

roadadvisor

Edited: 28 August 2012, 22:20
Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

I would have recommended Xandar"i" tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309224-d300391… as a top end place to stay, but the traveler wanted something in the $150US range (or less) Xandar"i" will be $250US by February, when the high season is full on. I didn't see much point (after reading the travelers wish list) blowing the budget.

Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

You can spend a couple of nights in the Orosi valley in Cartago (sanchiri lodge or similar). One day you can visit the irazu volcano and the valley and then visit tapanti the following day. I also like the suggestion by CajonTraveler for the Buena vista hotel, from there you can visit the poas volcano, doka coffee plantation, la paz waterfall gardens

Edited: 29 August 2012, 00:01
Canada
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

Ja! Franciscojh I was wondering why you didn't suggest the Orosi Valley in your first post. Not to mention Tapanti which is also a rain forest. I don’t, however care much for Sanchari – I would suggest Hotel Quelitales http://www.hotelquelitales.com or even Orosi Lodge http://www.orosilodge.com/ if they would like to be in a quaint Costa Rican town. The Turrialba area would be another great option. For something different but also affordable luxury, try Espino Blanco Lodge http://wageliaespinoblancolodge.com/

7. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights 2 hours or less from San Jose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 04:17