We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

Montreal
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

My husband and myself and 3 adult children are looking for ideas where to stop for a night or two on our way back to San Jose after spending 5-6 days on the Osa Peninsula. We plan to stay at Costa Paraiso (very economical as we can all share 1 room) in Dominical on the way there for 2 days and was wanting to do something different on the way back.

Thanks in advance.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

Maybe drive another 45 minutes from Dominical and stay in Manuel Antonio...plenty places to stay...

roadadvisor

Montreal
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

I appreciate the suggestion of Manuel Antonio but am wondering since we are stopping in Dominical for 2 nights and then spending 5 nights on the OSA Peninsula what would Manuel Antonio give us that is different for the way back? I'm a bit worried about it being too touristy as that's not our speed.

My other question would be...what about taking a different route back, even if it is longer, such as what looks to be Route 2 on the map?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

San Gerardo de Dota would make a good stop if you are into bird watching. It's located off Rt.2 and within approximately 2.5 hours of SJO.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

I agree that San Gerardo de Dota in the cloudforest would be an interesting alternative to a beach stop or you can look at El Toucanet Lodge just a little farther down the highway and closer to San Jose near Copey de Dota.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

you could try to make it to San Jose and visit some things around there, like a rafting trip , operated out of San Jose, or a visit to the Britt Coffee tour, the gold Museum,

Montreal
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

My husband and myself are spending 3 nights in the San Jose area prior to picking up adult kids at the airport. Then we will be spending 2 nights in Dominical and then 5 nights Osa peninsula. So, wanted something a little different while keeping budget in mind on the way back. So far Toucanet lodge looks very interesting as it is in a different type of area and is very budget freindly for 5 of us.

Open to other suggestions......

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

Trogon Lodge is a good affordable eco-lodge in San Gerardo de Dota. Never been to El Toucanet Lodge, but it looks like a nice place.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

One more choice in same region is Paraiso de Quetzal (Quetzals Paradise), newly built and locally owned - www.quetzalsparadise.com .

Canada
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

I like Dantica Lodge http://www.dantica.com/

10. Re: Stopover on way back to San Jose from Osa Peninsula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:16