We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day itinerary - Osa, beaches, cloudforest?

Urbanna, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
11 day itinerary - Osa, beaches, cloudforest?

My wife and I are planning a trip in mid January for 11 days/10 nights.

Our main areas to visit are Drake Bay for four nights, Dominical area for beaches for a few nights, and a cloud forest area such as San Gerardo de Dota for a few nights.

We fly into SJO at 1pm and would like to get out of the city as soon as possible. Should I rent a car, take plane, or other options? I don't really want to spend a night in the SJ area just to catch flight the next morning, but will if that's the recommended way to go.

Any suggestions for a good itinerary would be most welcome!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 day itinerary - Osa, beaches, cloudforest?

To avoid a night in San Jose rent a car (4x4)) and do San Gerardo de Dota first (2 hour drive from San Jose) then Osa and end at Dominical or you can do Dominical (4 hour drive from San Jose), Osa and end at San Gerardo de Dota. It is a nice combination. Of course flying to Osa would be my preffered way to avoid hours on the road you can do Dominical then San Gerardo drop off the car in San Jose and fly to oSa

Edited: 07 September 2012, 03:51
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 day itinerary - Osa, beaches, cloudforest?

You can fly to Drake Bay and then rent a car from Solid for Dominical and San Gerardo part. Or do the driving part first and fly back. You will not need rental car in Drake Bay so put this at the start or at the end oy your travel.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 day itinerary - Osa, beaches, cloudforest?

I would check Sansa and Nature Air's schedules to see if they have flights to Drake you could catch with your arrival time.

As an alternative, you could hire a driver to take you to San Gerardo and then to Dominical, then Drake, and then fly back from Drake.

San Gerardo is more of a challenge to drive than I would be up for.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 day itinerary - Osa, beaches, cloudforest?

San Gerardo de Dota may be a 2-2.5 hour drive from San Jose but traffic around the capital could easily screw up your plans. Assume it will take 90 minutes to clear customs and complete paperwork for rental car. The drive on the Pan American Highway south out of San Jose takes you to Cartago and then up and over Cerro de Muerto, the Mountain of Death, which is narrow and winding with many slow trucks and few places to pass. It is often fog-covered by mid-afternoon. The road itself is in good condition but I wouldn't want to drive it in late afternoon after a long day travelling.

By contrast the coast road to Dominical is a longer drive but much easier IMO. You could overnite in Manuel Antonio or the new highway south of Manuel Antonio to Dominical is one of the best in the country and I would not hesitate to drive it in the dark, although you must still be careful for bicyclists and animals in the road.

5. Re: 11 day itinerary - Osa, beaches, cloudforest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2013, 10:16