We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

Bedford...
10 posts
Save Topic
Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

I will be visiting Costa Rica in February. I plan on bringing an unlocked GSM phone to use while I am in the country. I know that you can buy a prepaid SIM in the San Jose airport, but we're arriving at around 2pm, need to pick up a rental SUV, and get on the road relatively quick in order to get to the house we're renting in Dominical before it gets too dark. Does anybody know if the SIM cards are available in any ICE office?

Thanks!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

Yes, they are, but plan some time to visit ICE as they operate sometimes as an inefficient company. There will be chairs available, and you will take a number for service. When you sit down with a rep (hopefully one who speaks a little English..do you speak Spanish?) should take 10-15 mins. Passport will be necessary as well, and try your phone when you are there in case of minor tech issues that ICE can maybe help you with.

Have a great trip.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

lol I feel silly I am not sure what ICE office is.. but I ordered mine in advance and had them mailed to me from

costaricacellularconnections.com Once there you have to activate them

I used the Illinois phone on their website to order... they spoke good english

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

Thanks for the helpful contribution to this thread MsAlaska, great suggestion, and ICE is the major supplier of all things internet, electricity and cable here in Costa Rica. http://www.grupoice.com/wps/portal/

Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

Yes they are available at any ICE office.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

You will see the ICE KOLBY signs almost everywhere...the company is run and own by the Costa Rica Goverment...!!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

For the record, and not to confuse the traveler, the pre-paid brand for ICE cell phones is "Kölbi", not to be confused with the football player Kolby Smith.

Edited: 08 September 2012, 14:35
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

you might be better off getting your sim at sjo, it's by far the fastest, only takes a couple minutes vs up to an hour like at the ice office in cobano above montezuma and the office in laurel. there is an ice office right in dominical but i waited half an hour to get a top up there.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

Thank you sonny...great advice, proffesional and to the point...not trying to be a comedian!!... !!

roadadvisor

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

I have seen this also avail at the correos in CR (post office). Anyone else with the same experience or perhaps it was just the one that I wandered into? (And it was VERY convenient too!)

10. Re: Kölbi prepaid SIM cards available at any ICE office?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 10:17