We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

Boston
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

I will have 3 nights, 2 free days in Costa Rica before I have to start working (just SW of San Jose). I would love to be someplace with lots of wildlife - monkeys, hummingbirds, even quetzals if at all possible. I am limited by the time and cost of going too far off the beaten track. (I have been to Iguana Lodge on the Osa Peninsula, which I loved, but too far to go for such a short time. I also really liked Villa Blanca in the cloud forest, but would like to try some place else with more wildlife.) Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Iguana Lodge
Iguana Lodge
455 Reviews
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

For the quezal have a look at San Geraldo de Dota Savengre Lodge, Dantica or my favorite on a budget simple Tico place with nice Costa Rican meals http://www.cabinaselquetzal.com/ loads of quezals on the property and the area. For wildlife maybe Hacienda Baru in Dominical or in the area in Dominical, Dominicalto or Uvita

Mentioned in this post
Tico Tours Guanacaste
Tico Tours Guanacaste
455 Reviews
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Hacienda Baru
Hacienda Baru
360 Reviews
Dominical, Costa Rica
Dominical
Dominical
Uvita
Uvita
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

Also good place in Dota El Trogon lodge they have some great trouts dishes at the menu...and the trouts are local rainbows...!

A lot of Quetzals...the sacred bird for most Central America indian tribes!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Trogon Lodge San Gerardo de Dota
Trogon Lodge San Gerardo...
703 Reviews
San Gerardo de Dota, Costa Rica
Boston
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

Thanks so much to both of you for your suggestions! If i would be going to San Geraldo de Dota from the San Jose airport, and going to the University for Peace when I leave San Geraldo de Dota, do you have any idea what transportation would be like (re both time ad money)?

Thanks again for your help!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Boston
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

http://www.cabinaselquetzal.com/ looks great -- but my Spanish is not as good as it should be. Do you know if they also speak English?

thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Spanish by the River - Turrialba
Spanish by the River...
33 Reviews
Turrialba, Costa Rica
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

San Geraldo de Dota is about 2 1/2 hours from San Jose Airport between Cartago and San Isidro de General. For a private transfer by guess would be around $120 each way. It is possible to do it with Public Bus, there is one everyy hour going from San Jose to San Isidro and passes in fron of the entrance to San Geraldo de Dota, you can make arrangements wit the hotel you choose to tell you were to get off and have them meet you.

Last time I was at Cabinas Los Quezales they had tourists staying and they had a receptionist speaking english. If you send them an email I am sure they will reply in English. Its family owned and very nice friendly people.

Edited: 15 September 2012, 16:45
Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Cartago
Cartago
Province of Cartago, Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

Little closer to San Jose, at KM 70, is similar locally owned place Quetzals Paradise. Owner and his son both speaks English, and they are close enough to PanAm you could use the San Jose to Perez Zeledon (San Isidro del General) bus. Be aware that up there it is chilly by night, and most afternoons it rains. But you will be able to see endless number of hummingbirds, and if lucky, magnificent quetzal.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
7. Re: good choice for viewing wildlife/quetzals in early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:16