We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two locations in 7-8 days

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Two locations in 7-8 days

My husband and I would like to travel to Costa Rica for our anniversary in late April. We anticipate staying 6-7 nights and would like to visit two locations: one at the beach and one with a more rainforest/jungle feel. We like smaller, boutique properties. Could you recommend and describe two areas that we should look into?

I have heard of the Manuel Antonio area and a friend recommended Guanacaste, but I still feel very uneducated about our options.

Thank you so much for your help!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two locations in 7-8 days

my personal favourite if i only had 7-8 days would be arenal/ la fortuna for rain forest type activities like ziplines, arenal waterfall (unbelievable!) white water rafting and so much more. i tend to avoid fancy accommodations (i do quantity)

so in arenal i stay at www.vistadelcerro.com spartan rooms with a/c, cable, small pool and breakfast is included. probably the best price vs location in the entire area.

for the second stop i would say montezuma, stay at www.amordemar.com

there is plenty to do in montezuma, and a lot of it free. i've been to the nearby cabo blanco national park, but i was equally if not more impressed with the trail leading north along the beach away from town.

check www.playamontezuma.net

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two locations in 7-8 days

for moving around the country i recommend flying if you decide on manuel antonio and arenal, but there are lots of other options. cheapest slowest is public bus, not a good option if you are only there for a week. you can choose shared vans like greyline or ecotrans, if you want private then go for www.tucanlimo.com especially if you choose arenal then guanacaste.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,023 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two locations in 7-8 days

Great question...maybe...Manuel Antonio and Arenal...

From SJO to Arenal 3 hours by car..

In Arenal check hotel Arenal Nayara...but there are a lot more choices...the Volcano area offer a lot of soft adventures tours...great Hot Springs as well...nice hikes...great places to take pictures...

From Arenal to MA 4 hours by car

Small nice park to see a lot of wild life and nice beaches.....check Los Altos...Si Como NO...Mariposa...ISSIMO..El Parador...a little more affordable...La Posada Inn...The Falls...CAbinas Hotel Espadillas...El BOsque...Inn On the Park...

Also very very nice...Buena Vista Villas and casas...and Tulemar bungalows!

Drive back to SJO 3 hours...

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two locations in 7-8 days

Sonny has great suggestions. Arenal has the hot springs and plenty of jungle. Montezuma is a lovely beach town and Cabo Blanco is an amazing place to visit with the combination of jungle and the pelicans on the cliff tops as you reach the ocean. Consider a beach on the Caribbean, if you prefer small boutique hotels though as there is far less development on that side of the country.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two locations in 7-8 days

We just got back yesterday and did a similar sounding trip. We arrived in Liberia and rented a car. We drove to Arenal and stayed there for 3 nights. (about 3 hours from the airport I think?). There are TONS of things to do there. We went canyoning (waterfall rappelling) and rafting with Desafio. From there we drove to Tamarindo (4 hours i think??). We stayed at Casa Cook. It is a small property on the beach with just 4 rental units. 2 of them are cabana style, right on the beach. You walk out your door and are right on the beach and if you walk 10-15 minutes down the beach you are right in town. The town is sort of a surfer town. You can still do things from that town... we met some people who did ziplining and atv tours and were picked up at their hotel from the tour company. We went charter fishing while there and surfed and relaxed. The property is not luxary by any means, but it has a really awesome private feel to it. Lots of people love Captain Suizo, it was right next to us and looked awesome!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two locations in 7-8 days

Wow! You sure had a busy trip and your enthusiasm shines through - thanks for sharing!

7. Re: Two locations in 7-8 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:17