We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica for late October for about 10 days. I read online that we are going to be visiting within the rainy season, but that the Caribbean Coast usually has better weather (?) and is less touristy.

I would love to see the jungle, some wild life and relax on the beach. He is really looking forward to surfing. I have tried to find some information on which areas on the Caribbean Coast would be great for these and was thinking of Punta Uva, Puerto Viejo and Cahuita. Are 10 days enough to do all 3 areas? Does anyone have any recommendations or must dos while there? Any festivals/local events that are happening during late October?

Also- how is traveling around the coast? I was thinking of perhaps renting a car or scooter to make it easy, but perhaps taking a bus between the areas might be easier?

I should mention we are looking to do this trip on a bit of a budget (nothing too elaborate) and are debating between staying in a resort or renting a spot- any suggestions?

We are really excited to be getting away and I am hoping that I can get some helpful tips to make our trip fantastic :)

Thanks- We really appreciate any help

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

Covering the Caribbean coast isn't too tricky. You could stay in one of the above places mentioned and visit the rest from there very easily. The bus isn't easier but will help with the budget you are watching - renting a car isn't cheap here. You should fins the weather better on this coast and certainly, there are fewer tourists this side. The Limon Carnival is a big cultural extravaganza, but might not fit your dates - it is well worth a visit if it does. It isn't Rio but there is plenty of local colour, costumes and music. A daytime trip is the safe bet, but I haven't heard it has been confirmed for this year yet. Normally it is around the 12th of October.

I will admit to bias in that I would suggest Cahuita as a base as it is my favourite place on the coast. It has the national park with loads of wildlife, beach, coral reefs for surfing and a couple of decent surf beaches if the waves are high. You can easily find a very nice mid-range hotel or B&B, try www.cahuita.cr or a vacation rental via vrbo and you're set! Buses run hourly up and down the coast and you could even plan a few days across the border in the beautiful Bocas del Toro islands in Panama. Manzanillo is a great place along with Punta Uva and Playa Chiquita with Puerto Viejo supplying souvenir stores, bars and restaurants aplenty.

Looking forward to your next questions!

Level Contributor
254 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

I have stayed in Puerto Viejo and will be heading there again in October for one week. I used Interbus transfers to get around in Costa Rica and then when I was in PV I walked, cabbed it or biked!

I stayed at the Cabinas Guarana in Puerto Viejo and will be staying with them again this year. Will be surfing (or learning at least...) snorkeling, waterfall rappeling and taking a day trip to Panama. Felt very safe and loved all of the retstaurants there! The sloth sanctuary is great as well. You can't go wrong!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

You'll love the Caribbean side of Costa Rica and October is great weather wise.

Ten days is plenty of time to explore the whole coast, you can start at Tortuguero National Park and work your way South to Puerto Viejo area. Though I love Cahuita, Puerto Viejo is more popular with visitors to the Caribe Sur and you will have more options for lodging and eating out if you are on a tight budget, check out http://www.puertoviejosatellite.com/ for more info. You might also consider visiting Bocas del Toro in Panama for a few days, a total different experience than Costa Rica. You can use the public bus to get around, very inexpensive, and also rent bikes, road runs along coast and mostly flat, do use taxis after dark.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

Great plans...and really the Caribbean is waiting for you...great weather...nice beaches...good food...a lot of good great choices to stay...and of course the best people...!

Just common sense!

roadadvisor

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

I've been to the area twice, and am going again in a week, I am jealous that you get 10 days there! You'll find 10 days is pleanty for the area, and after about 5 days, you'll forget the crazy life you've just come from! There's a nice place called La Costa de Papito if you are looking for something that costs about $80 a night for your own private beautifully made bungalow, or for 30 a night, you can get your own room at Walaba Hostel. It all depends on your preference. Really, any place is good. I just tend to prefer anything in front of Punta Uva, the best beach by far in my opinion. Have fun!!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

Thanks for everyone's responses. It has been very helpful.

We've had to push back our timing slightly to the last week of October into November...will the weather still be good? Should we consider trying to find somewhere else in Costa Rica to go?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

Ck out Toucanstay Lodge at Punta Uva. An upstairs room feels like a treehouse here. Be sure to confirm coffee pot, microwave and fridge is in room. Nice breakfast on site and you are in a small lodging with a small pulperia right across the street. Nice outdoor patio/garden with a bbq you can use. Laundry on site for small fee can be handy. Free use of bikes to go up to Manzanillo, into PViejo etc.Clean, super comfy king size bed and a/c! Wake up to the howler monkeys and be the only ones walking the early morning beach. I took the public bus from San Jose with no problem and came back on Interbus. Be sure to spend a morning at the nearby Jaquar Rescue Facility. Everything from reptiles to baby sloths being bottle fed! Sloths in bushes as you walk thru, monkeys interact with those who wish...great place to see caring individuals caring for native species. I would spend a minimum of 4 nights here and a week would not be too long in my opinion. Lots of tours avail from horseback in the jungle, fishing, diving, snorkeling and even boat to Bocas Del Toro.

8. Re: Need Advice for Costa Rica Trip in Late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 04:19