We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent GPS?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
478 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Should we rent GPS?

We are planning to rent a car for our trip this December. How important is a GPS? If we rent one, is it likely to be a target for thieves? THanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we rent GPS?

That takes all the fun out of driving in Costa Rica.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we rent GPS?

Nice one rancho! You can get by with a good map but if you want to take all the challenge/fun out of navigating then go for the GPS. road signs are a bit of a rarity in Costa Rica although the situation is improving, and are virtually non existant in most towns.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we rent GPS?

I found the GPS to be a waste of time. We were better off with a map and our Iphone map.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we rent GPS?

I love the GPS...they work great here in Costa Rica...just remove it when not in use!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we rent GPS?

I agree with Luis. If you have never been here before and are used to living in a place that has named roads and numbered buildings then IMO gps is the way to go.

I had a buddy visit me just a couple of months ago with gps and I was blown away by it really. The GPS knew where every dangerous curve and speed bump were located not to mention getting from point A to B was a breeze. My vote goes gps all the way.

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we rent GPS?

I wouldn´t travel to an unknown place without a GPS, bring your GPS and as said before just remove it from the car when no in use

Have fun

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we rent GPS?

Can I use google map on my phone? Is 3G network good in CR?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we rent GPS?

Yes! I would take the GPS - shop around when you are looking at car rental prices. You can see GPS prices from as low as $8 daily up to $18 daily.

Driving in Costa Rica is fun enough even with a machine to help you keep on the right road!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we rent GPS?

The GPS is useful, but only with a good reliable map on it. And always crosscheck it with a good paper road map. You don't want to drive some steep local unpaved roads your GPS has calculated as the shortest, or fastest or whatever.

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we rent GPS?

Does anyone know if we can download the program and bring our own GPS?