We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

Hi,

We are coming for a honeymoon in Costa Rica and we are looking for an island to stay - white sand, beach resorts and great food.

We are willing to fly if necessary.

Any ideas?

Please let us know if you've been there and another tip or two once we are there (hotel, beach, etc).

Thank you

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

San Andres Island belongs to Colombia ...it is a short flight from SJO...also Bocas del Toro in Panama...and not to close but really nice...Roatan Island in Honduras Bay Islands!

roaddvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,311 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

San Blas Islands in Panama.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

Thanks for the replies

San blas is not for us as I understood there is no electricity after certain time and there are no restaurants around- am I right?

Roatan Island in Honduras Bay Islands looks like a very nice place -

What are the options to go there? SJO or Librya? How much should it cost and whic airlines can we take?

Thanks!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

Another questions- Is there another alternative around here?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

I think you can check flights and itineraries by www.taca.com...

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

You want to spend the 3 nights in Bocas del Toro, a cluster of small islands protected behind a reef and very close to the Costa Rica border on the Caribbean side. For a honeymoon check out Punta Caracol with overwater bunglaows or there are lots more choices for less expensive lodging. You can fly into San Jose and take a short flight to Bocas on Nature Air, although they do not fly every day. You can also fly into Panama City and take one of multiple daily flights to Bocas. You can also access Bocas from Puerto Viejo in Costa Rica on the south caribbean coast. It requires buses or taxis to the border and beyond to the ferry followed by a boat ride to reach Bocas.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

crfan gives you the best advice. Bocas Del Toro is perfect for what you are looking for.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

My vote based on OP desires of "white sand" and "beach resorts" sounds much more like Roatan. Beautiful white beaches, resorts featuring more "creature comforts" than Bocas and incredible snorkeling and clear seas. No need to travel by boat to other beaches and a cleaner setting than Bocas. After the rugged natural beauty of Costa Rica it would make for an awesome trip. We used TACA airline.

9. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 00:48
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any nice island to stay for 3 nights next to Costa Rica?

I think I made this comment in your other thread, but I would look at Ylang Ylang beach resort as an alternative--it feels like a tropical island because it's so isolated, it's right on the beach, and the food is fantastic. Only downside is that the beach is a little rocky and rough.