We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica surf lessons prices(not packages)

Warsaw, Warszawa...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica surf lessons prices(not packages)

Hey, what are the current prices for begginers surf lessons in Costa Rica? I am a bacpacker travelling around area and I will hang out like 10 days at Rican shore. So I am not interested in any camps and hotels. Just want to contract beginners lessons (in a group, preferably). Not sure how it costs in average...

How many beginners lessons are needed, by the way? I am fit and have great sense of balance.

Thanks upfront :)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica surf lessons prices(not packages)

Try this guys...they are incredible nice and good...they are in Dominical!

Owner/certified surf instructor

http://www.sunsetsurfdominical.com

011 (506) 8917-3143 cel.

His name Dylan Park!

roadadvisor

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica surf lessons prices(not packages)

It really depends. In Jaco they offer $25 at a couple spots for basic lessons and a board for the day. In Samara they wanted $35 for a 1 hour private lesson and you could have the board for the day. As far as how many lessons you need, that is also hard to say. Some people pick it up fast, others don't.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica surf lessons prices(not packages)

Sunset surf in Dominical is a great suggestion. A 2 hour surf lesson is generaly about $50 in Dominical including board and rash guard. Normaly the instructors let you borrow the board once again for 2 hours included in the rate to practice.

What I suggest is when you come down is to arrange a 2 hour group lesson then spend some time practising what you learned alone. Your first lesson is in "wight water" ie catching the waves after they brake and then learning the "pop up". Then would suggest a second lesson after you pactice by yourself to learn how to position yourself to catch and ride waves. Then practice yourself after that and do lessons if you feel you want to advance.

All schools do hourly lessons the best plaes to learn surfing in Costa Rica is Dominical area (lots of accomodation backpacking) or more touristy Tamarindo & Jaco/Hermosa.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica surf lessons prices(not packages)

I highly recommend Matt at Point Break Surf in Tamarindo It was $65 for a two hour lesson for my son (early 20s), and he got up and had a great time. He's not the most athletic or coordinated and Matt had him up and smiling. Video to prove it from GoPro mounted on the board. http://www.pointbreaksurf.com Check all the reviews on TA.

5. Re: Costa Rica surf lessons prices(not packages)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 08:18