We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning about Gas Station

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Warning about Gas Station

I usually rent a car and when I get back to the airport I usually fill it b up at the Pacific Estacion because it is near teh rental car return. I thought they had charged me wrong in the past but did not have proof. This trip I turned around and looked at what the pump said when it was done filling. The litres was about 15.35 and the ventas read 10.250. The station was very busy and I just signed the charge when he handed it to me , but pulled off to the side after and got my glasses out. Sure enough he had charged me the litres and not the ventas amount- which meant I had paid $30.13 instead of the $20.00 I should have paid (about 2 x's 10.25) I turned around and when they saw me coming back they immediately took money out of their pockets and gave it to me. I am writing this so others will read the pumps and make sure they charged you the correct amount. Other than that- another wonderful trip to Costa Rica!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning about Gas Station

Thanks for sharing. Where is the Pacific Estacion located?

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning about Gas Station

I don't know the name of the road, but after you pass the airport and make a left at the first light you come to the road that most of the car rental companies are on (Holiday Inn and Denny's are directly straight ahead). If you make a right on that road and go straight about 1/2 mile it is the first gas station you come to. That is why I am warning people - because I think many people use this station to fill up before returning their rental cars and they are taking advantage of the many tourist that stop there.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning about Gas Station

I used the station often...they are located at Rio Segundo...close to the Cerveceria Costa Rica...is the only one at the end of Rio Segundo...once you drive by most rent a cars...they are very close to TARGET rent a car...

Island girl...thank you for sharing...very nice helpfull information...I will let the management knows about your post!

roadadivsor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning about Gas Station

Thanks for clarifying. I know the gas station you are talking about. Good thing you caught them. Thanks for the warning.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning about Gas Station

Always a good idea to review credit card receipts/bills before signing. Dining alone I was once given a restaurant check which listed 12 coca colas. They corrected the mistake, but I'll never know for sure whether or not it was deliberate.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,138 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning about Gas Station

Very helpful post. That is why I always paid gas with colons; it is easy to remeber the ventas number and to count the bills.

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning about Gas Station

i'm sorry..so what is the difference between litres and ventas? when filling up at a gas station should you always pay what the "ventas" is?

Edited: 10 October 2012, 03:28
Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning about Gas Station

never mind..just saw that ventas = sale. will the sale price always be in colones or dolares, or both?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning about Gas Station

It will always be in Colones. The conversion is easy though as $1 = 500 Colones (it gets easier). The bills are in denominations of 1,000 Colones as follows:

1,000 = $2

2,000 = $4

5,000 = $10

10,000 = $20

20,000 = $40 (rare)

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning about Gas Station

Always check that the counter is set on zero before the gas attendant begins filling your tank too.