We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Topic
Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

We are headed down to Santa Teresa area in July. We want to explore around so we thought it would be great to rent ATV's for the week. My question is: Would you recommend renting an ATV or a 4x4? And if we are in Santa Teresa and want to visit Montezuma for the day, is it better to rent one or the other? And does anyone know how far it is from Santa Teresa to Montezuma by ATV. I have just heard ATV's are great unless you have to go very far.

Thanks guys,

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Montezuma
Montezuma
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

It is less expensive to rent a 4x4 than a couple of Quads...you can fit more people into a vehicle. Depending on the route you take between these two locations and how often you stop for photo ops or whatever, it could take 45 min. if you are not stopping but taking the quickest route, or it could take hours.

Quads are fine until you have to follow in someones dust (not fun at all). A 4x4 is much safer. I have seen the most sane adult driver get on a Quad and do the stupidest things...Quads seem to dull a person's intelligence and they lose all respect for other vehicle drivers, bicycle riders and pedestrians. Please be respectful if you decide to rent Quads, they are not toys!

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

Are you staying in town? I'd just get the ATV/Quads for the days that you want them.

If you just want the ATV/Quads for a few days, they're very easy to rent in town for the times that you want them.

Unless someone is giving you a super deal for the week rental I'd say just get it for the few days that you want it.

You can travel to every area in the lower end of the peninsula with the Quad. Though then you've got to deal with weather/dust (although the Santa Teresa area is probably the dustiest).

It really depends on cost and how many people you have? Or if you're just going to ride two on the quad?

If you really want a vehicle for the whole week, I'd probably recommend a 4x4, but you're probably not going to be traveling every day so factor that in.

The Quads are fun, so I rent them when I get a chance. I've spent 3 weeks in Montezuma with no vehicle and just gotten by with the local buses or getting a quad for a day or two when I want to get around.

Gary

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Montezuma
Montezuma
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

There will just be two of us.

We are staying in Santa Teresa.

An ATV sounds so much fun I am just worried about when it rains or if we need to get groceries. The dust doesn't bother me so bad.

A 4X4 sounds great too, it just seems like you could not explore around as much as if you were on an ATV. I just wasn't sure if the trip from Santa Teresa to Montezuma on an ATV was a good idea.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Montezuma
Montezuma
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

I've done that whole end of the peninsula on an ATV before.

http://GarySaid.com/100-kilometers-on-an-atv/

Lots of interesting roads between the two places that you probably wouldn't bother in a 4x4 but you'd do on an ATV.

FYI, I like Montezuma much much better than Santa Teresa. ST has the sunsets though, that's really the only reason I head over there when I'm in Montezuma.

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

Do you know of any great places to stay in Montezuma besides Ylang Ylang?

I dont understand why that place is #1 in Montezuma. The rooms look horrible.

I have a price range around $250 a night. Looking for something that has a full kitchen, Awesome rooms, awesome bathrooms, a pool and is close by the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
869 Reviews
Montezuma, Costa Rica
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

Amor de Mar....hands down!! Beautiful location and you don't have to walk down the beach to your hotel, you can park your vehicle right there.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Amor de Mar
Hotel Amor de Mar
448 Reviews
Montezuma, Costa Rica
waterloo,ON
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

We love Casa Frangipani, you get your own little villa perfect for 2. Its up n the hill above Montezuma, but I think its nicer to stay up there anyways. Lots more wildlife and beautiful views, private trail to the waterfalls.

The walk to town isn't bad. Check it out on the vacation rental section of Montezuma.

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

I will go for a ATV...a lot of fun...for longer rides around there of course a 4x4...

roadadvisor

9. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma...ATV or 4x4 vehicle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 10:16